Fish Suddenly Dying And Still Looking Healthy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mamboboy

Reaction score
So a few months ago, my fathers tank downstairs had some epidemic, all his fish got wiped out except for one...so he decided to put it in my tank, which as a result wiped out all my fish minus the sucking loach!

After that, I lost interest in the tank and let it deteriorate, and it became dirty (but the 2 fish survived).
Last week I decided it was time to clean the whole thing out and get new fish.

I got 6 neons, 1 bala shark, 2 angel fish and 3 guppies to get the tank up and running.

The angel fish got picked on, one died (got mauled by the sucking loach :angry: ), and the other died after it got moved downstairs.

Now, i'm used to fish becomming ill, losing their colour over the course of a day or two and then eventually dying, but I have a really odd problem now...the fish just suddenly seem to die, without looking ill or anything, i've lost 3 guppies, and the bala shark - i've noticed it has a slight bloody/red area on it's underside (he still has all his colour too).
The guppies are doing fine.

I wish i'd gotten 1 -2 more bala sharks, because I read on the internet they swim in groups, and even though this one was about 5 times bigger than all the other fish in the tank, he was always hiding away from them!

Could it be some parasite thats killing them off? I put in all the solutions to kill of bacteria, so it doesn't make sense...

Thanks in advance

Code:
Tank size: Around 9-10 Gallon I think...
pH: unknown
ammonia: I had a water sample tested 2-3 days after it was changed at a pet store - they said the water condition was perfect.
nitrite: unknown
nitrate: unknown
kH: "
gH: "
tank temp: 78

Fish Symptoms: no symptoms before death, just suddenly dying! bala shark has bloody underbelly (internal)

Volume and Frequency of water changes: water was changed around 7 days ago, around 15% of old water added back to tank.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: stress solution, anti-chlorine, anti-bacteria

Tank inhabitants: guppies, neons, bala shark (rip), sucking loach

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 2 living plants

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

picture0170rm3.jpg

dead fish

picture0171gp9.jpg

picture0172mf3.jpg

the tank
sorry about quality - camera phone

If iys a 10 gallon, the angel and bala shark would have go to big for the tank. Move the reamining angel to a bigger tank. Bloody underside.... huh... maby an infection. Not sure someone else can clear that up for you. Anywhy the neons and the other fish should be ok but make sure the fish can live in your tank befour you buy them.
Hope it gets better.

So your tank had two fish in for a period of time, and then some time afterwards you added 6 neons, 1 bala shark, 2 angel fish and 3 guppies? Are you sure you haven't overloaded the tank too quickly? How big is it? There is going to have been a big surge in ammonia levels and if you didn't have sufficiently sized bacteria colonies to complete the nitrogen (waste) cycle you may have elevated ammonia or nitrite levels.

Get yourself a test kit and moniter what's going on. There may well be a further problem given the symptoms you list but they usually stem from poor water quality. Get an API freshwater testing kit and find out what's going on in your tank.

So a few months ago, my fathers tank downstairs had some epidemic, all his fish got wiped out except for one...so he decided to put it in my tank, which as a result wiped out all my fish minus the sucking loach!

After that, I lost interest in the tank and let it deteriorate, and it became dirty (but the 2 fish survived).
Last week I decided it was time to clean the whole thing out and get new fish.

I got 6 neons, 1 bala shark, 2 angel fish and 3 guppies to get the tank up and running.

The angel fish got picked on, one died (got mauled by the sucking loach :angry: ), and the other died after it got moved downstairs.

Now, i'm used to fish becomming ill, losing their colour over the course of a day or two and then eventually dying, but I have a really odd problem now...the fish just suddenly seem to die, without looking ill or anything, i've lost 3 guppies, and the bala shark - i've noticed it has a slight bloody/red area on it's underside (he still has all his colour too).
The guppies are doing fine.

I wish i'd gotten 1 -2 more bala sharks, because I read on the internet they swim in groups, and even though this one was about 5 times bigger than all the other fish in the tank, he was always hiding away from them!

Could it be some parasite thats killing them off? I put in all the solutions to kill of bacteria, so it doesn't make sense...

Thanks in advance

Code:
Tank size: Around 9-10 Gallon I think...
pH: unknown
ammonia: I had a water sample tested 2-3 days after it was changed at a pet store - they said the water condition was perfect.
nitrite: unknown
nitrate: unknown
kH: "
gH: "
tank temp: 78

Fish Symptoms: no symptoms before death, just suddenly dying! bala shark has bloody underbelly (internal)

Volume and Frequency of water changes: water was changed around 7 days ago, around 15% of old water added back to tank.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: stress solution, anti-chlorine, anti-bacteria

Tank inhabitants: guppies, neons, bala shark (rip), sucking loach

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 2 living plants

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

picture0170rm3.jpg

dead fish

picture0171gp9.jpg

picture0172mf3.jpg

the tank
sorry about quality - camera phone

Shouldn't of added a fish to your tank if a desease had wiped out the others out, ntd, or fish tb can do this.
Your bala has septicemia and hard to cure once it has progressed, you need to issolate it as the bacteria from the fish can enter the tank.
You will need to get the fish going on a bacterial med if the fish stands a chance of surviving.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back