fish stuck in another fish mouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Not so much mean as it is just... What goldfish do. And leaving your fish to die just because of stupidity is pretty cruel.
I donā€™t believe itā€™s stupidity Itā€™s itā€™s nature , I had a 7inch Oscar who ate 4 4inch silver dollars and 8x 2inch Colombian tetra my bad with the tetra but the dollars it new itā€™s couldnā€™t fit them in itā€™s mouth I had electric blue acara the same size he didnā€™t eat them , because itā€™s not stupid , maybe this goldy is stupid but I doubt it my guess is itā€™s just a male appendage

No...

As much as I love my goldfish, they definitely aren't smart when it comes to food.
They will try to eat anything, and they will fit it in their mouth before finding out it's inedible.

I watch mine pick up rocks and chew them a bit before spitting them out just to grab another one and do the same thing.

Ive seen them try to eat the others fin if it brushed against the other one.

If it can be picked up, it's food to a goldfish.

Part of their charm and cuteness though, but, as in this case, it can lead to trouble.

But definitely not because they're mean.

No...

As much as I love my goldfish, they definitely aren't smart when it comes to food.
They will try to eat anything, and they will fit it in their mouth before finding out it's inedible.

I watch mine pick up rocks and chew them a bit before spitting them out just to grab another one and do the same thing.

Part of their charm and cuteness though, but, as in this case, it can lead to trouble.

Again, another well written description of me

No...

So it would try and eat a pea puffer giving the chance , I mean they would never come across each other but surely nothing is that stupid and if it is why are humans breeding it lol I mean if my dog kept eating footballs and getting them stuck in his mouth doesnā€™t that animal not deserve to die but nature would have it that way

Again, another well written description of me
Well goldfish at least are very lovable and sweet

So it would try and eat a pea puffer giving the chance , I mean they would never come across each other but surely nothing is that stupid and if it is why are humans breeding it lol I mean if my dog kept eating footballs and getting them stuck in his mouth doesnā€™t that animal not deserve to die but nature would have it that way
Yeah I'm sure if given the chance, a goldfish would eat a pea puffer :rofl:

Unfortunately I think they're mostly bred because they're cheap and popular for unsuspecting newcomers.
On the other hand, this opportunistic way of eating anything it can fit in its mouth also lends an evolutionary hand... theyre invasive in many places, and have actually taken over some areas by legit eating all of the vegetation and stirring up the water with their digging that plants die off so the local native fish are outcompeted as well because then they lose their habitat. And they're very prolific breeders and tolerable of so many different water parameters.
So while perhaps not always the smartest behaviour, it also benefits the goldfish in making a home for itself.

Good job getting the catfish out.

Out of curiosity, how did you get it out of the goldfish's mouth?
the guy at the fish pet store said to pull out with tweezers. He said to move it from side to side to try and get the barbed spine. Which I had a hard time doing. He also said that because I could still see the tail it wasn't into the stomach area where it could do a lot of damage pulling it out. He said if I had to, I could be a little forceful. In the end that is what I had to do. My Blackmoor is doing good she is eating and her mouth is now back to normal. I was worried yesterday because she couldn't close her mouth, so called fish store again and he said she will be ok and her mouth will in time return to normal as it was stuck in that position for a few days. Never again am I putting small fish in with her, as she is about 4 inches long body wise, not including her tail fin.

The cory would have been stressed on its own because they are shoaling fish which need to be in groups of at least 6. The shop probably didn't tell you that either :(
Well they did tell me they don't like to be alone, never said in groups of 6, probably because they only had 3 in the tank. so I bought all 3 and they seemed fine.

As Slaphppy said, never believe anyone who works in a fish store. The person who sold you the three either had no idea they should be kept in groups of at least 6 or kept quiet in case you decided not to buy them if there were only three - selling something being more important than the needs of the fish.

btw it was a pet store that suggested the cory in the first place, said they would do well together. Guess they were wrong. so i just called a pet store that specializes in fish, and he told me how to get the cory out. So i have removed it, and i am going to take the other cory to the pet store as it seems very depressed being alone.
yeah probably donā€™t listen to pet store people... most people learn the hard way

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back