~~~ Fish Stores ~~~

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
HI, so many people on here complain about their LFS, inluding me :nod:

i think that LFS are not really that good because they dont look after their fish like they are supposed to, they order fish that they dont know the ID of, if they dont know the ID they wont know how to care for them, and tell the customers how to care for them :no:

i would just like to know how the LFS should or even could improve :)

write what you like to do with LFS :D GOOD OR BAD!

my proper local is ment to be great being 20 years old, but ive never been, the closest fish shop tho is petsathome and it sucks, they heave incompitant staff and sold AT b as cherries :/

my proper local is ment to be great being 20 years old, but ive never been, the closest fish shop tho is petsathome and it sucks, they heave incompitant staff and sold AT b as cherries :/
I know one really good one(thank god) but the rest need shooting or educating lol

the best one i know is my little corner pet shop its not very big but it sells all different types of animals inlcuding birds, snakes, rabbits, hamsters, rats, and lots of fish and supplies :D

they only have around 8 60gal tanks, 4 for livebearers and the other 4 for plecos, tetras and cichlids :D

and the 2 shop owners actually know a thing or to about fish, very good experience with fish.

i will be working there soon on weekends because they haven't got enough staff and we have know each other for years :D

the worst by far is............. PETSATHOME :crazy:

My local pet shop knows nothing not even the basics such as not to add too many fish in a day cos he sold my friend 23 in a day

Fish stores are run by people. Some are clever, some are not. Some are hardworking, some are not. Some are honest, some are not. And an awful lot are sort of in between. But a general view on fish shops- no, it would be beyond me.
Don't let's forget- some of the most knowledgeable members of this forum have acquired their extensive knowledge through years in the trade. But then again there is the woman in my local Pets@..... Humanity, eh? :no:

i would of said that most people get their knowledge from TFF, ive learnt more off here than any pet shop :D

thanks guys :)

The people at the pet stores by me are so stupid, I know about 80% more than all of them put together!!! I have asked for a job, but one is too far for me to work at, the other is a "Family Ran" business, THEY FRUSTRATE ME :devil:

I deal with a place called aquarium services, this place is a huge chain.

Also known as BigAls. (bigalsonline.com)
this place does ONLY fish, hundreds of tanks, the staff is fairly intelligent, and the place seems to be just quality.
i've never seen any dead fish, they quarintine fish as they come in,and im pretty sure there policy regarding shipment of fish is top notch.

plus the place has the highest percentage of tiny framed little hotties working there than ive ever seen anywhere :)

i think the BEST petstore for fish is PetSmart... they built 2 new ones, one in toledo ohio and the other in rossford ohio. not only do they have the biggest selection of fish, but the people who work there are always well informed unlike others i've seen who couldn't answer any of my questions about fish. :nod: their fish are always in the best condition too. i always see the employees over there attending to the tanks all day. they also feed their fish soooo well. with lettuce, peas, oranges, and bloodworms.... something new every time i go! :D also when they put ur fish in a bag, they don't shove all of them in one bag, AND they put pure oxygen in the bag because some people aren't just "going home" right away haha. best store ever!! :wub:

This is a hard one, because the quality of each pet store, even if it is a chain, varies greatly. There is one Petsmart that I will shop at, but the other two I don't even go in the door, because they take such poor care of their fish I can't stand to look at the suffering. The local PetCo is pretty good. The guy has some knowledge and freely admits when he doesn't know the answer and even referred me to visit a forum with one of the questions I had. The two purely fish only stores are OK, but not great. Their fish look OK, but they are not very helpful and their staff varies widely in their knowledge. One of them, the young guys that work there are only interested in salt water fish and won't even ask you if you need help if you are looking at freshwater. I visited two other small pet stores and one I found had good looking tanks, but a poor selection of fish, the other was disgusting so I immediately left. So, my suggestion is find the best you can and work with them. I got my fish at four different stores and out of seven fish bought only one died.

Even on forums you get varying information and sometimes it is wrong, like the forum I read that said that corys like to be alone. Found out from the local lfs that they like to be in groups. I only had room, size wise, for one more fish, but when I finally got my cory a friend (out of them for a couple weeks) he was overjoyed and they have been best buddies since the first moment I put the second one in the tank.

So, the best advice I have is to learn as much as you can about fish care, to get more than one source from information presented on a forum and try to help educate your local lfs if they seem to be less knowleable than you. I've told several about fishless cycling, so at least they have the knowledge even if they choose to ignore it so that they sell more fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back