fish stores can be so different...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
so theres this petsmart very close to my house, (lps) has some fish and has a lot of guppy species, all at lower than $3usd!!!! i got a cute dumbo male guppy there and a black moscow half black(maybe) female guppy. their fish are all very good, despite hearing some bad reviews. all the deaths of the fish are all my problems, never theirs... but there is also a petco nearby, and their tanks are not so good.... i feel like they are not cycled as there is a dead fish in almost each tank(multiple some are even rotting). makes me wonder how some pet stores have bad reviews despite them being very good... almost all my stuff comes from there exept for stem plants and snails and 2 random guppies.

I think it really comes down to the employees and managers of a particular store. My local petco is pretty okay. They occasionally have die offs in more delicate species, but are pretty prompt at getting them cleaned up. Another small chain near me QTs fish for different problems, has "no sale" written on the tank until fish are safe to sell. Moving can be hard on fish. I have also been to smaller shops that look much worse than the chain stores, so it really is on the people working at the places.

I have a firm idea of the way retail should exist, either chain or mom-and-pop style. It seems there should be outlets that take great pride in maintaining healthy stock and being quick to advertise. Instead of this approach all of the LFS near me view their stock as retail fish and nothing more than SKU's, not living creatures that deserve health and good treatment.

One of the many aspects of fishkeeping I've learned from this forum is a healthy fear of desease. This means trust and hope are gone. No more new stock until I can find clean sourcing and learn the fine arts of quarantine Kung-fu.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back