Fish Staying At Top Of Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jedward

Reaction score
Can someone tell me whether these fish are supposed to constantly swim around the top of the tank? I need help as I am new to keeping tropical fish. Thanks,
Jed

Attachments

• P80107882.JPG
    P80107882.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 69
Do they look as though they are gasping for air? If so, then there is probably not enough oxygen in the tank.
What are your water stats? Knowing this may also help determine the problem.

Do they look as though they are gasping for air? If so, then there is probably not enough oxygen in the tank.
What are your water stats? Knowing this may also help determine the problem.

I did have it tested a couple of weeks ago, and it had a high ammount of ammonia. I have been regularly replacing 20 - 30 % of the water with fresh but to be honest, the fish don't seem to have a problem doing what they're doing, would they look like they were panicking if they were gasping for air? I also have other fish like catfish which don't stay at the top, is this normal?

It's not normal for Clown loaches to be constantly at the top of the tank as they are a bottom dwelling fish.
What size tank is it and what type of filter have you got? Have you got the filter positioned so that it is creating plenty of surface movement?
It is also worth investing in a liquid test kit to keep an eye on your water stats, that way you can monitor the tank.

It's not normal for Clown loaches to be constantly at the top of the tank as they are a bottom dwelling fish.
What size tank is it and what type of filter have you got? Have you got the filter positioned so that it is creating plenty of surface movement?
It is also worth investing in a liquid test kit to keep an eye on your water stats, that way you can monitor the tank.

i'll give that a go and see if it makes any difference, thanks for you help :) ...the tank is only small, perhaps 5 gallons at the most, I am hoping to receive a 3 foot tank soon which would probably solve the problem

If you could rehome the Loach then it would be a lot better. They prefer to be kept in groups of 3 or more and can reach up to 12". How big is it at the moment and what other fish do you have?

If you could rehome the Loach then it would be a lot better. They prefer to be kept in groups of 3 or more and can reach up to 12". How big is it at the moment and what other fish do you have?

I have:
1 clown loach,
1 plecostomus
2 bronze catfish
and 1 fish that looks like an eel but I have no idea what the name of it is!

I think that I will buy some more clown loach when I upgrade as I have heard that they prefer to be in schools than on their own.

Have you ever had clown loaches?

I've never owned them but researched them thoroughly as I had wanted them at one point. My 48G was nowhere near big enough and when we upgraded to a 137G tank we stock with Plecos instead.
I'm afraid there are far too many fish in your tank and I really would advise rehoming them.
Clown Loaches in a group need about a 75G tank as they are active and need the swimming space.
Plecos need at least 10G and if it's one of the bigger types then a 5ft tank at least. Any ideas on what type of Pleco it is?
Catfish also prefer to be kept in groups of at least 5-6 and need a lot bigger tank.
I'm not sure on the eel type fish, any pics so we can ID it?
I'm afraid unless you rehome them, then you could end up losing them. The filter can't handle such a big bioload and that is what is causing problems with your water. The fish also need a lot more space and will end up stressed in such a small tank.
If you could rehome them, you could stock with something slightly different and the get the fish you want when the 3ft tank has been set up. ;)

nice looking fish none of mine have ever went to the top so i dont know but nice fish anway :good:
I've never owned them but researched them thoroughly as I had wanted them at one point. My 48G was nowhere near big enough and when we upgraded to a 137G tank we stock with Plecos instead.I'm afraid there are far too many fish in your tank and I really would advise rehoming them. Clown Loaches in a group need about a 75G tank as they are active and need the swimming space.Plecos need at least 10G and if it's one of the bigger types then a 5ft tank at least. Any ideas on what type of Pleco it is?Catfish also prefer to be kept in groups of at least 5-6 and need a lot bigger tank.I'm not sure on the eel type fish, any pics so we can ID it?I'm afraid unless you rehome them, then you could end up losing them. The filter can't handle such a big bioload and that is what is causing problems with your water. The fish also need a lot more space and will end up stressed in such a small tank.If you could rehome them, you could stock with something slightly different and the get the fish you want when the 3ft tank has been set up. ;)
Your advice seems very sound and I will accept it gracefully. I will try as soon as possible to get the 3 footer. I had a feeling that pollution was going to be a problem. Now I have to think about where i'm gonna put a 3ft tank!

I'm sure you'll find somewhere to put it!
If you plan on setting up the 3ft tank straight away then it may be worth asking your lfs if they will hold the fish for you. If not, is there anyone you know who would be willing to do this for you?
I'm afraid the 3ft still won't be big enough for the Clowns but your other fish will be fine in it.

I'm sure you'll find somewhere to put it!
If you plan on setting up the 3ft tank straight away then it may be worth asking your lfs if they will hold the fish for you. If not, is there anyone you know who would be willing to do this for you?
I'm afraid the 3ft still won't be big enough for the Clowns but your other fish will be fine in it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back