FISH shy or sick?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TonyG

Reaction score
I bought my first Albino Heckelii 2 days ago. It only stays at the bottom of the tank. When no one is around it swims in the middle part but when it sees people it goes back at the bottom. Is it sick? or shy?

Attachments

• albino heck.jpg
    albino heck.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 53
JuiceBox52 covered it pretty well.

Acarichthys heckelii are a bottom dwelling fish that need a substrate. Without that they stress. The same with the background, they need a picture on the back of the tank if you don't already have one. And some real or plastic plants would help too, including floating plants.

After that, the fish needs time to settle into the tank and some companions would help. The companion fish can be any fish that swims around and helps the cichlid feel more secure.

Albino A. heckelii aren't very colourful and if you want the most colour from this species, you should get a normal coloured fish. However, if you prefer the albino version then that is fine too. But the albinos prefer a darker tank than the normal coloured fish. Use a dark substrate, dark background, lots of floating plants and or minimal light.

Acarichthys heckelii are a bottom dwelling fish that need a substrate. Without that they stress. The same with the background, they need a picture on the back of the tank if you don't already have one. And some real or plastic plants would help too, including floating plants.

After that, the fish needs time to settle into the tank and some companions would help. The companion fish can be any fish that swims around and helps the cichlid feel more secure.

Albino A. heckelii aren't very colourful and if you want the most colour from this species, you should get a normal coloured fish. However, if you prefer the albino version then that is fine too. But the albinos prefer a darker tank than the normal coloured fish. Use a dark substrate, dark background, lots of floating plants and or minimal light.

-----
Thank you for the information! I noticed that around 7pm - 9pm it starts to swim around but when I turn on the lights it goes back at the bottom.

Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

It is the first time I heard about this! I will start tonight! Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back