Fish shortage?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GulfCoastGypsy

Reaction score
Today I went to two local pet stores (one locally owned, and one chain). Both had more than 90% empty tanks. Petsmart blamed it on Covid quarantine. I did not ask at the local store. Is anyone else finding this? I'm in NW Florida.

I dont know what's going on in your area . We have no problems here and I'm in Indiana. We still get our regular shipments

My local fish stores are pretty low on fish too. I went last week and couldn’t believe that the only fish they had was one platy, 4 tetra, and one bumble bee cichlid. I went to petsmart to see if it was similar there, out of curiosity, and pretty much it was except petsmart did have a few more fish. Lots of cichlids, actually besides a couple of random fish in the tanks it was pretty much all cichlids with all other tanks empty. I know my petsmart was treating all their fish tanks because of the zebra mussels in marmio moss balls or something to do with the moss balls about a week prior. Not sure about my local fish store.

My lfs is ordering more fish than ever, and trying some new distributors, and have to get 2 orders a week. Their fish are practically flying out the door. The local Petco's tanks get a bit empty on Tuesdays and Wednesdays ,with deliver on Thursday mornings.

There has been a bad outbreak of covid in Indonesia where lots of aquarium fish come from and that is probably the main reason. People are not allowed out and the usual covid issues.

This is why everyone should be breeding fish, so you can supply locally when Asia can't. :)

Hey :)
In France, Pet(fish) Stores selling animal food were considered esseential so remained opened during covid19 lockdown and every restraining times.

My LFS are a little short on certain fish. The owner told me that since Covid19 the lack of flights has bumped up the cost of freight 50%. So if he buys 1000's of cardinals the extra cost can be spread around and they will still sell. But if he buys 200 cories (in the same size space) he will pass on a higher cost to the customer which is prohibitive to buyers.
I think supply of most goods around the world is a bit harder lately for a number of reasons (Suez canal, shortage of haulage drivers, workers laid off, more absences from work, travel restrictions, and for the UK Brexit...).

Last edited:
I just had Petco special order some fish for me (Illinois) and they seem to have no issue getting a supply. They carry some slightly harder to find fish in our area like Discus, Panda Angelfish and multiple types of shrimp.

@Sunnyspots

Have you tried Maidenhead Aquatics, if you have one locally?

Look on Ebay - check the feedback (obviously) and try to match the water at the seller's location with yours. For example, I bought some red cherry shrimps last year and went with a Scottish seller rather than a London seller as I have softish water, most of Scotland has very soft water and London has hard water. But don't get mixed colours as they interbreed and with cherry shrimps at least you end up with a tank of brown shrimps.
The downside to Ebay - or any on-line shop - is the postage :(

Last edited:

Look on Ebay - check the feedback (obviously) and try to match the water at the seller's location with yours. For example, I bought some red cherry shrimps last year and went with a Scottish seller rather than a London seller as I have softish water, most of Scotland has very soft water and London has hard water. But don't get mixed colours as they interbreed and with cherry shrimps at least you end up with a tank of brown shrimps.
The OP is in Florida, USA.... ;)

Sorry, I meant to reply to Sunnyspots who is in the UK :blush: I've edited my post to say that.

Today I went to two local pet stores (one locally owned, and one chain). Both had more than 90% empty tanks. Petsmart blamed it on Covid quarantine. I did not ask at the local store. Is anyone else finding this? I'm in NW Florida.
You can order fish online, plenty out there in the States, but shipping can be quite pricey...

@Sunnyspots

I was there today - in Truro. I didn't think to look at their shrimps as it was just a thought for if I made a Walstad jarrarium. But I'll try there first if I go ahead.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back