Fish safe veg?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kaijuaquatics

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Want to give my fish some variety in their diet apart from frozen and pellet food. Can anyone give me some fish friendly veg to give them and how to prepare it? I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on whether certain things should be boiled.

Honestly I just like giving them as many experiences as I can and food is part of that :)

What fish do you have?
Betta, rasboras, guppies, black skirt tetras corydoras, plecos (bristlenose and leopard) so just standard tropical freshwater stuff haha

I also have shrimp and snails if that effects anything. I've heard cucumber is good and (generally) safe for them to consume but I'm not sure about anything else

Cucumbers are OK but have little nutrients.

I have fed my fish the following fruits and veggies. I always rinse them first, remove seeds (if needed as they foul water) and will leave skin on. The time in tank depends on the produce with some being 6-8 hours and others overnight to 24 hours.

6-8 hours
  • Watermelon-honeydew-cantaloupe/muskmelon slices; rind on
  • Zuchinni/yellow squash; skin on and young so little seeds
  • Papaya (1/2 or 1/4 long slices or rings with seeds removed and skin on)

12-24 hours
  • Opo squash (mainly for my plecos but tetras like it if its thinly sliced). You can find it near zucchini, it's and Asian summer squash. It is a floater so you will need to anchor it down with a couple forks.
  • Winter squashes like butternut, acorn, carnival/delicata, Hubbard, pumpkin, turban...depending on the sugar content you can leave a day (always remove seed/fibers).
  • Sweet potatoes (also mainly for plecos but I have seen corys, tetras, loaches and shrimp go for it as well). This one can sit 24+ hours. Or you can par cook it and obviously leave it in the tank 8-12 hours.

I have also fed the fish cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and (with less success) carrots and green beans (fresh, frozen and canned with no salt). Careful with any cabbage veggies as they will foul the water fast (sulfur content) and should be in for 4-6 hours the most. Same holds true for anything canned or blanched/cooked.
I don't use leafy greens as I have found very little fish/shrimp go for it and it needs to come out soon
I am forgetting some as well, I always do...

I also feed the fish Repashy for variety. They love that stuff and its easy to modify and mix them up.

Last edited:
I have tried anything leafy and it gets eaten with no problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back