Fish really sick.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

taylor811

Reaction score
A couple days ago I got a new tank for my growing baby betta. I got him from Petco about 3 months ago and heā€™s gotten a little bigger since then. I moved him to his new tank and he was fine but later on at night he started to act weird by hiding. I thought maybe he was just stressed from the move and didnā€™t think too much of it. The next morning he had clamped fins and was floating at the top of the aquarium with minimal movement. I didnt really know what to do so I tried aquarium salt and later that day lifeguard by tetra. He started to recover after those treatments but today he started acting weird again. He was at the top of the aquarium and anytime he moved he would skim the water. I donā€™t know how else to explain it but it looked like as if he was constantly trying to get air. Iā€™m really nervous and I feel like I did more harm than good. I care so much about him and I really need some help saving his life.

Did you cycle the new tank before moving him into it? Or used the filter media from his old tank? The symptoms sound like ammonia in the water - do you have a tester? If you do, can you tell us the readings for ammonia and nitrite?

You did remember to add dechlorinator when you set up the new tank?

Did you cycle the new tank before moving him into it? Or used the filter media from his old tank? The symptoms sound like ammonia in the water - do you have a tester? If you do, can you tell us the readings for ammonia and nitrite?

You did remember to add dechlorinator when you set up the new tank?
Unfortunately, I did not Iā€™m kind of new to this. Iā€™ve had a betta in the past but it was when I was really young. I donā€™t have water testers is there anything else I can do? Or rather what can I do in the meantime?

Last edited:
If you didn't add dechlorinator, buy some as soon as possible. Seachem Prime is probably the best one at the moment. Chlorine or chloramine in the water will be harming his gills.

Once you have dechlorinator, do a daily water change of around three quarters of the water. This will remove the ammonia which is building up in the tank, and later nitrite. Seachem Prime detoxifies both of these for 24 hours so it will keep him safe until the next day's water change.

The other thing you need to do is buy a test kit, or testers for ammonia and nitrite at the minimum. Once you have those, you will need to do a water change whenever either of them read above zero.

Does the tank have a filter, and if it does, what is inside it - sponge or carbon filled cartridges or something else? If it doesn't have a filter, you need one asap. A sponge filter powered by an air pump is ideal for bettas as the water flow from this type is gentle for a betta.

The first part of this link explains what cycling is, though the second part is only for cycling before you have fish. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

If you didn't add dechlorinator, buy some as soon as possible. Seachem Prime is probably the best one at the moment. Chlorine or chloramine in the water will be harming his gills.

Once you have dechlorinator, do a daily water change of around three quarters of the water. This will remove the ammonia which is building up in the tank, and later nitrite. Seachem Prime detoxifies both of these for 24 hours so it will keep him safe until the next day's water change.

The other thing you need to do is buy a test kit, or testers for ammonia and nitrite at the minimum. Once you have those, you will need to do a water change whenever either of them read above zero.

Does the tank have a filter, and if it does, what is inside it - sponge or carbon filled cartridges or something else? If it doesn't have a filter, you need one asap. A sponge filter powered by an air pump is ideal for bettas as the water flow from this type is gentle for a betta.

The first part of this link explains what cycling is, though the second part is only for cycling before you have fish. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
He has a carbon filled cartridge filter and the size is extra small. I used it on the first day I put him in. He kept going behind it and it seemed like the current was too strong so I turned it off. Iā€™m not home right now and when I do go home I have to get ready to go to work. Iā€™ll definitely try to pick up some stuff for him though and I wonā€™t be able to do a water change until later tonight. Do you think he will be fine for the time being or should I move him back to his old tank? If not what would you suggest?

He has a carbon filled cartridge filter and the size is extra small. I used it on the first day I put him in. He kept going behind it and it seemed like the current was too strong so I turned it off. Iā€™m not home right now and when I do go home I have to get ready to go to work. Iā€™ll definitely try to pick up some stuff for him though and I wonā€™t be able to do a water change until later tonight. Do you think he will be fine for the time being or should I move him back to his old tank? If not what would you suggest?
I'm not an expert but I would think if his old tank is still setup and cycled I would be moving him back to it until the new one is setup properly. Better to be in a small tank than one with water that is toxic to him.

I'm not an expert but I would think if his old tank is still setup and cycled I would be moving him back to it until the new one is setup properly. Better to be in a small tank than one with water that is toxic to him.
Right now there is no water in that tank and itā€™s just a basic tank with nothing much in it should I add water in it and put him in or do you think that would be detrimental?

Right now there is no water in that tank and itā€™s just a basic tank with nothing much in it should I add water in it and put him in or do you think that would be detrimental?
If there is no water, you would just be adding him to the same problem but in a new tank, really really need dechlorinator. I would buy some dechlorinator and then take the ten minutes to do a water change before anything else. Even if it means taking a clean bowl and scooping out some water and then refilling using dechlorinator. Doesn't have to be fancy just needs to be done ASAP

If there is no water, you would just be adding him to the same problem but in a new tank, really really need dechlorinator. I would buy some dechlorinator and then take the ten minutes to do a water change before anything else. Even if it means taking a clean bowl and scooping out some water and then refilling using dechlorinator. Doesn't have to be fancy just needs to be done ASAP
Would aquasafe by tetra help? Itā€™s some sort of conditioner and It says it removes chlorine and reduces stress. Thatā€™s all I have for the time being until I can go shopping after work.

Would aquasafe by tetra help? Itā€™s some sort of conditioner and It says it removes chlorine and reduces stress. Thatā€™s all I have for the time being until I can go shopping after work.
Yup that will work great, change out some water and add in the aquasafe to the water after you add it to the tank.

Yup that will work great, change out some water and add in the aquasafe to the water after you add it to the tank.
Thank you so much hopefully this will help! If I have any other complications I will definitely be coming back.

Once you use the dechlorinator, that will start to help. The next thing is to get ammonia, and later nitrite under control. The tank does need a filter. If you can post a photo or a link to the filter we can see if there is some way to reduce the flow.
If there is only a carbon cartridge in the filter, the best thing to do is cut the bag open and empty out the carbon. Then get some filter sponge, any make, cut it up and stuff it inside the bag. The cartridge will then last for years.

Getting some live plants will also help keep ammonia under control. See if you can find some water sprite and leave that floating on the water surface. Plants use ammonia as fertiliser, so they help remove it from the water while the filter bacteria grow.

Once you use the dechlorinator, that will start to help. The next thing is to get ammonia, and later nitrite under control. The tank does need a filter. If you can post a photo or a link to the filter we can see if there is some way to reduce the flow.
If there is only a carbon cartridge in the filter, the best thing to do is cut the bag open and empty out the carbon. Then get some filter sponge, any make, cut it up and stuff it inside the bag. The cartridge will then last for years.

Getting some live plants will also help keep ammonia under control. See if you can find some water sprite and leave that floating on the water surface. Plants use ammonia as fertiliser, so they help remove it from the water while the filter bacteria grow.
Iā€™m sorry for all this trouble. I learned my lesson on setting up a new tank. Unfortunately, I came home and my fish has passed away.

Most reactions

Back