Fish/Pet names and "Pet"names

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If you move to Montreal, I had three Owens in my class the year I retired. Cara was around, Carrie had faded as a name. Kayla, Katie - they were still really in.

I just moved to a region where everyone speaks English, for the first time in my life. It's so much easier with my name now, because I have all the letters that slaughter anglos trying to speak French. It has always played into my accent, badly. Now I say my name and people write it down like it's easy. It is a treat.

I've never met a Humphrey.

It's really hard on kids when the parents immigrate and their normal names take on unfortunate meanings in English. I taught a few kids whose real names were their deepest secret. Then again, I was once informed that in ancient Persian, "Gary" meant going bald, which was once a pretty good description of me.

But pet names - the dogs in and around my life are Rosie, Boba, Champ, Fred, Rory, and Carla.

Andy Pandy for both Panda Garra's. For the granddaughters I went way back to old cartoons.
But this topic sort of reads my mind because my present set up? Its been near a year since I added fish. That would be a red Ancistrus. This is the only aquarium I have ever setup that is a permanent home for fish I place in it. No trading or moving them around and now seeing the same fish getting along with each other? It is like a pet fish home. I have no inclination to trade or sell fish and I doubt after so many months I will add anything.
When you do that? The fish are calmer when you do use the scrubber of choice for algae. None of them go aerial,or banging off the glass. They slow down and stay out of the way. When you are done- no fish hesitation to go back to foraging.
I've been thinking about this fish as pets and an aquarium as a home for them for awhile.

Andy Pandy for both Panda Garra's. For the granddaughters I went way back to old cartoons.
But this topic sort of reads my mind because my present set up? Its been near a year since I added fish. That would be a red Ancistrus. This is the only aquarium I have ever setup that is a permanent home for fish I place in it. No trading or moving them around and now seeing the same fish getting along with each other? It is like a pet fish home. I have no inclination to trade or sell fish and I doubt after so many months I will add anything.
When you do that? The fish are calmer when you do use the scrubber of choice for algae. None of them go aerial,or banging off the glass. They slow down and stay out of the way. When you are done- no fish hesitation to go back to foraging.
I've been thinking about this fish as pets and an aquarium as a home for them for awhile.
It is truly something special when your fish trust you and know you aren't just a strange hand of "god" entering their little world.

My fish have been pets foremost, if/when they breed, I try to my best for the fry. Obviously, it is out of my hands beyond the tanks of the trusted LFS I sell them to. That is not to say I have not had to return a few as they just did not jive with my livestock. At times I do need to shuffle fish from tank to tank but they are never afraid of the net. Half the time they swim in on their own, the other half is a very slow, gentle catch, easing them to the glass until they are secure in the net. No chasing. It helps me and they do not become stressed. I use a net in part of my cleaning/ moving of things around the tank so they see it quite often. They seem to "help" me when I am doing my maintenance or pruning. When I speak, when they see me, they will all congregate as close to eye level as they can get with me. If I put my face really close to the glass they wiggle right up to the glass like they are trying to get even closer to me.:wub:

They have all these personalities and are individuals, even among the same species, when you get that group that just "clicks" it is like they have all these fishy friends and all these little homes(the places they like to hang out at) I guess that is where "community" comes from even beyond the peaceful/schooling/ shoaling fish types. Every once in a while I get that grumpy "get off my lawn" type, but usually moving them to another tank will get them to settle and be harmonious with their neighbors.

My kitten was named Pea Blossom by her foster. When I got her, I thought that was a mouthful. I renamed her Peasy. I've not come across another with that name.

My kitten was named Pea Blossom by her foster. When I got her, I thought that was a mouthful. I renamed her Peasy. I've not come across another with that name.
Too cute! If she came into the clinic I would be sorely tempted to say "Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey!":fun: If it were my kids they would say "Easy Peasy Mac and Cheesy" But then again, they do not fall too far from the tree in terms of silliness.

I am a Vet tech by vocation. I talk to animals, all kinds of animals all day long during their care and treatment. I have heard some unique names along the way, and have many colorful "pet" names that I use at any given time. I would love to hear some of yours!

When talking to an animal, but not calling it by name, some that frequently come out of my mouth are.
Cats: Poot, Puddy, Little beans, Spicy tostada, Spitty kitty, floof, ect.
Dogs: Bubs, Tooter, Snoot.
Fish: Bubs, Filet, fish stick, Shark bait lol
I could go on, but I want to hear your pet's name or the "pet" names you call them.
I call my dog, molly, booly

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back