Fish/Pet names and "Pet"names

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That is cute. Who doesn't like chocolate? Bet he was just as sweet too!
He was beautiful, when my grandson was 18 months old he’d stand with a biscuit and hold out his hand to the dog, and Aero would look to an adult before he would take any and 9/10 he’d just nibble a bit off the end and the two of them would share the biscuit 😂🤢😳.

But, although he would eat anything he could get hold of indoors, he wouldn’t eat when we were outside and he never learnt to recall, not even for sausage or cheese…☹️

My favorite dog names, and patients, are named Chewbarka and Barkamedes. They are a sibling pair of Border collies. I love them they are so sweet. Otherwise we see a lot of pets named Bella, Lucy, Brody, Max, and Riley.
I'm getting curious. I have met one dog named Lucy, and a Max. But the other names, no.
With our international forum here, I wonder if there are world region names for dogs, in English? I wonder if the popular names for dogs in Australia, regions of the US, Ireland, England, Scotland, Canada, etc have different dog name patterns.
A great cringe moment when you're a teacher is when new parents announce "We named the baby whatever because it's so distinctive", and you know you have six kids with the name in one class. I wonder if pet names follow the same pattern? In the 90s, the names Guillaume and Manon took off in French culture here, and I had three of each in every college class I taught by the mid 2000s. It lasted 2 years, and moved on.

I'm getting curious. I have met one dog named Lucy, and a Max. But the other names, no.
With our international forum here, I wonder if there are world region names for dogs, in English? I wonder if the popular names for dogs in Australia, regions of the US, Ireland, England, Scotland, Canada, etc have different dog name patterns.
A great cringe moment when you're a teacher is when new parents announce "We named the baby whatever because it's so distinctive", and you know you have six kids with the name in one class. I wonder if pet names follow the same pattern? In the 90s, the names Guillaume and Manon took off in French culture here, and I had three of each in every college class I taught by the mid 2000s. It lasted 2 years, and moved on.
Oh for sure! It would be fun to find out what they are.

When I was named Kristin, it wasn't that common but by school age I knew a ton of others. My boss' daughter is a Kristen, so whenever she spells my name it is spelled that way. I don't really care. My boys are young, we have a ridiculously long last name so I went with short first names, Reid, Finn and Owen. I have met a couple of each but most are older or do not share a class with my kiddos.

I greatly dislike crazy spelling of a name for the sake of being unique. If it sounds phonetically like the OG name just spell it normal. Spare the poor kid from having to spell it for people over and over their whole life.

Kids names......I do frequently wonder if parents think about their child once it goes to school and the amount of ribbing they will inevitably get

For example...

In the late 1970's there were adverts for milk on TV that featured "Watch out...there's a Humphrey about"....Humphrey being a milk thief who used a very very long straw....

A friend of the family decided to call their first child Humphrey as a result of the adverts. All very well but then when added to their surname....well...it was always going to cause issues when the poor child went to school. Demidecki.

Me on the other hand, I have a common name, trouble was it was so common that there were three of us in my class at school, so we all changed our spelling.....just so the teachers would not get confuzzled.

At least parents can choose names their children don't have to tell everyone how to spell. Surnames can be as bad for spelling.
My unmarried surname is spelled not quite the usual way - it has one letter less. It's the same as a town ending in .......ham but there's no h just .....am. I spent 24 years trying to get people to spell it right, and my sister was even told by a teacher she was spelling it wrong. Then I married a Welsh man with a well known surname in Wales. But the English version of the surname is slightly different so I continue having to spell it out. I swapped not quite the usual spelling surname for another.

I have the most common forename for girls born in 1950. There was always at least one other in the same class at school, 3 out of 8 girls in my chemistry class at university, and 4 of us when I worked in the hospital lab.

My family had some cracking surnames

My mother's maiden surname was Willey
Her married sister's surname was Stenis
My oldest sister's married name was Balls
My married name was Dunny

I went back to my Welsh maiden name once divorced....

My son and his partner are expecting a baby. She's Romanian. I'm waiting to see what names they'll choose.

Both my sons have 2 names. The first is English, the second is Welsh. Has they been girls the Welsh names would have been first, on the grounds that back in the 1980s girls were not teased as badly as boys for 'funny' names.

Our parrot's name is Rocco. But I also call our parrot "Boy" quite often. But I do have to admit that Rocco ain't a boy but a girl. But at the time that I bought her, it wasn't clear yet what her sex was. Between a year and a year and a half, this breed will show their sex. She likes to cuddle. Especially, when she sees me, she want to have some attention. She loves to be scratched in the neck and on her head.
IMG_2904.JPGIMG_2901.JPG

Kids names......I do frequently wonder if parents think about their child once it goes to school and the amount of ribbing they will inevitably get

For example...

In the late 1970's there were adverts for milk on TV that featured "Watch out...there's a Humphrey about"....Humphrey being a milk thief who used a very very long straw....

A friend of the family decided to call their first child Humphrey as a result of the adverts. All very well but then when added to their surname....well...it was always going to cause issues when the poor child went to school. Demidecki.

Me on the other hand, I have a common name, trouble was it was so common that there were three of us in my class at school, so we all changed our spelling.....just so the teachers would not get confuzzled.
That is bad, oh man that advert is too much.

I believe some do and some don't. Kids can be clever and terrible. It is hard to spare them ever being made fun of, if it is not their name it is a physical attribute. I am tall, very tall for a woman. I was called Stilts, string bean, Olive oil (from Popeye cartoon) and Sasquatch during middle and high-school. It makes me laugh now, boys were just jealous I was taller than 90% of them were for years.

My littles are very tall for their ages, they remind me of Great Dane puppies, they look huge but are still just little kids.

At least parents can choose names their children don't have to tell everyone how to spell. Surnames can be as bad for spelling.
My unmarried surname is spelled not quite the usual way - it has one letter less. It's the same as a town ending in .......ham but there's no h just .....am. I spent 24 years trying to get people to spell it right, and my sister was even told by a teacher she was spelling it wrong. Then I married a Welsh man with a well known surname in Wales. But the English version of the surname is slightly different so I continue having to spell it out. I swapped not quite the usual spelling surname for another.

I have the most common forename for girls born in 1950. There was always at least one other in the same class at school, 3 out of 8 girls in my chemistry class at university, and 4 of us when I worked in the hospital lab.
Isn't that the truth. My maiden name was long and my married name is physically longer, even though they both have same amount of letters.

Maiden name was all vertical letters so I could squish it in any where I had to sign it. Now my last name is all horizontal letters and it takes 3 miles of paper to sign it all.🤣🤷‍♀️

I have never encountered or heard of another person with my name. There’s a couple close variations (Cora, Cora Lee, Coralynn, ect.) But even those are few and far between.
My younger sister on the other hand, is starting to hear her name more and more often by others. Often times it’s not the same spelling, but it’s pronounced the same. She’s got a name that is gender neutral, so it’s being used by a lot of different people. I’m starting to see it pop up on those “personalized” doodads that you get in gift shops and so on. I’m not quite sure how she feels about it to be honest 😂

My middle name is the same as my grandmothers, or was supposed to be. She doesn't know how she spells it, so there's lots of debate 😂

Last edited:
Problem is… nobody knows how my grandma decided to spell my mom’s name
Isn't it on her birth certificate? Or is this one of the things done differently in different countries?

My middle name is Carole (after some 1950s film star), and when he registered my birth my father made sure it was spelled that way in the register and therefore it's spelled that way on my birth certificate.

Isn't it on her birth certificate? Or is this one of the things done differently in different countries?
Yes, its on her birth certificate. At the time, I don't believe my parents had a copy at home, they would've had to send for one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back