Fish On The Move?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ParsonsD

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys.. Just want some quick advice..

Im planning to move house pretty soon, but have 3 large tanks holding over 300 litres in each.. Just wondering what people can advise me? Whether to take the water out the tanks, and keep it. Or will it be ok to put fish in bags, drain all water, then put new dechlorinated water in tanks when i get to new house? Will bacteria be able to multiply enough to stabilize the new water? Need to bare in mind, i have a fair few fish in each tank, and there is over 300 litres of my water being changed, which is bang on at the minute for stats.. Just dont want to #### everything up and lose any of my fish =[ Dean

when i moved i
caught the fish and put them in bags
put the filters in buckets with tank water - kept swishing them around in the water every hour or so (if you cant keep them running in the car)
Then when i got to new home i put the fish in (you'll need 3 bin/buckets) and ran the filters in the bins/buckets
filled up the tanks with fresh water (water holds very little beneficial bacteria ) getting up to correct temp
you will then have to test the ph of your new water to see if its the same if not you will have to acclimatise the fish slowly to your new ph

then all was fine ;) i did it on 2 4ft tanks and didnt have a problem

Hi guys.. Just want some quick advice..

Im planning to move house pretty soon, but have 3 large tanks holding over 300 litres in each.. Just wondering what people can advise me? Whether to take the water out the tanks, and keep it. Or will it be ok to put fish in bags, drain all water, then put new dechlorinated water in tanks when i get to new house? Will bacteria be able to multiply enough to stabilize the new water? Need to bare in mind, i have a fair few fish in each tank, and there is over 300 litres of my water being changed, which is bang on at the minute for stats.. Just dont want to #### everything up and lose any of my fish =[ Dean

I would throw some fish food in the bucket where the filters are. Food will break down and produce ammonia for the beneficial bacteria. Unless you are just moving down the block, then I wouldn't worry about doing that.

-FHM

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back