Fish Myths

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
I am doing my senior resurch prodject on the human treatment of fish and the aquarium. One of the topics that will be in the presentation will be popular fish myths and proving them right or wrong. I am basically looking for ones that are wrong.

If any of you know any please list them. The only myth that I do not need is the goldfish in bowls, as human treatment of goldfish will be one of my many topics, and that is really my main topic.

3 second mememory is one as well

as is small bolws stunting growth

theres a couple of good threads on here about 3 second memeory

This was the subject of a very, very long thread a couple of months ago, do we really want to repeat it all?

well I dont read all the posts ya know. And its not like they have to go into explination, just list a few.

Hmm, myths that aern't true or only partially true...Well here's some i've heard from various lfs staff over the past;
:kana: "common and sailfin plecs will grow to fit comfortably in the size of tank they're kept in"
Truth: no they won't. put a 2inch sailfin plec in a 10gal and will still grow to about 15inchs- the small tank may stunt its growth to a certain extent but that is very cruel to do so.
:kana: "sucking loachs(i.e golden loach) is a small algae eating community; great for small tanks"
Truth: sure. its cute. ah, look at it go :*) . 4months down the line and your originally 2inch loach has turned into a 5inch psycho killing machine and killing all your community fish.
:kana: "putting your fish in a freezer/in a bowl in the freezer is a humane way to put it down"
Truth: no, just simply no. Apparently very painful for the poor little thing.

One for the betta keepers;
:kana: "bettas like living in dirty water. they feel secure in those puny little walmart cups."
Truth: ahem, NO.

the betta one is a good one, as bettas will be in the same light as goldfish in the report, which is oral, how fun.

If you know a keeper of fancy goldfish, you could find an adult (or near adult) fantail or oranda (as these are the types manufactureers reccomend for bowls) and put it in a tank/bowl advertised for goldfish. Not permanently, but to take some photos.

OohFeeshy said:
If you know a keeper of fancy goldfish, you could find an adult (or near adult) fantail or oranda (as these are the types manufactureers reccomend for bowls) and put it in a tank/bowl advertised for goldfish. Not permanently, but to take some photos.
Hah, that would certainly get the point across!

You could take photos of an 18" common plec in a 5g kritterkeeper too!

No, that would be as bad as the companies who make a 3 cup 'betta tank' look like a 25g compared to the betta.

I was thinking about that with the fish, but they are so expensive! Maybe just a regular commet goldfish. They are only $6 at my lfs for 6 inchers, though I am not sure if they had them anymore when I went tuesday.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back