Fish Myths

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Let's bust some myths. Anyone who can bust the myth, please bust it and add some evidence so we know you aren't just showboating :p . Some of these myths may be true, in that case, please help confirm it to make it sure.

1) Fishes grow to according to the size of their tank.
2) Carbon leeches toxins back into the water after a certain amount of time.
3) Table salt cannot be used for aquariums.
4) Cycling with fish can cause irreversible damage to the fish.
5) Most of the bacteria stays in the filter, not the gravel.

Thats just for starters :D

P.T.

1) True and not true, while a fish certainly cannot grow larger than its tank keeping a fish in a tank that is too small will restrict its external growth but not its internal organs which carry on growing resulting in the fish dying a slow painfull death.

2) Dont know, i never use carbon for anything.

3) Table salt should not be used for aquariums as it contains anti caking agents to keep it free flowing, however if you use pure sea salt or kosher salt for your table it will be fine.

4) Cycling with fish can shortern the life span of your fish as it weekens internal organs and damages the gills.

5) This greatly depends on the filter, if you are running a large external canister with layers of modern hi tech pourous media then your filter will contain masses more bacteria than the gravel, if you just run a simple box or sponge filter then the gravl may contain more bacteria than the filter.

CFCs argument number 1 doesn't make sense. It is biologically impossible for internal organs to keep growing while external growth stops. The final size of an animal is dependent on genetics primarily. Restrict the space then the animal will stop growing. Not just internally but externally as well. As long as the internal organs are growing the externals will keep up to acomodate the growing structures inside.

Angry_Platy said:
CFCs argument number 1 doesn't make sense. It is biologically impossible for internal organs to keep growing while external growth stops. The final size of an animal is dependent on genetics primarily. Restrict the space then the animal will stop growing. Not just internally but externally as well. As long as the internal organs are growing the externals will keep up to acomodate the growing structures inside.
Angry_Platy, are you sure about that? You speak as if you know a thing or two about biology? The same thought has always occurred to me - it seems a bit silly that evolution would allow fish to stop growing externally but not internally... BUT every time this topic has come up here, people have said the same as CFC, I've never seen anyone else contradict it.

YES!!! The thread is doing superbly. Will someone please come and offer an explanation with SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE on myth 1?

P.T.

My knowledge of Biology comes from an Honours degree in Science majoring in Animal Biology and Marine Biology.

It is about evolution yes.

If anyone has proof, preferably photographic, that internal organs can grow while external growth stops I'd be keen to see it.

Think of it this way, a Adult human male whether he is a 7 foot tall skinny man or a 4 foot fat man still has approximately the same size internal organs, the same is said for fish. A redtailed catfish that has its growth supressed by a small tank may only grow to around 2 feet long but will still have the same sized internal organs of a 4 foot long RTC that has been allowed to grow in a pond.

Also, if you kept a baby in a cardboard box (dont!), would it stay a baby or have to develop into an adult in that box? Hey, I'm mad, so ignore me if I'm wrong. What about,
6. Fish have a 3 second memory

OohFeeshy, that myst i can confirm busted. The mythbusters themselves proved it by making goldfish go through a maze by training them for 48 days (or around that).

Also, don't fish recognize you as a food source every day? That alone proves it :nod:

Good, keep em coming!

P.T.

Ok, another myth for the betta lovers here.

7) Bettas live shorter lives in big tanks as they get tired.

P.T.

9) peacocks,haps and mbunas can mix

I think with carbon when it reaches its saturation point it stops absorbing the cr4p pretty suddenly causing a rapid buildup of toxins. I'd imagine if someone was totally relying on the carbon then it would appear like it leached out the toxins.

I can't see any reason why the carbon would release its contents though. However I can see an almost immediate crash type situation depending on water volume.

EDIT: I'd also agree with angry plati even though my oppinions are based on assumption. I can see how limited water volume could "stunt" growth, a large fish would not have the volume of water needed to support it thus perhaps ill health follows which leaves it looking sickly and shortens its life. I'd not think death was caused by over sized organs though, if the evironment causes a stunting of growth I'd of thought organ growth would be the first to suffer as opposed to carrying on as normal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back