Fish mix

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea if Danios, Barbs, Tetras, Discus, Gouramis & Plecs would all live together happily in a community tank?

Thanks for any replies :)

Well discus might have problem living in the hard water that barbs and teras live in. Discus are more picky and like soft acidic water. Also they can reach 8 inches, plecos 20 inches, tetras and barbs need to be in schools of 5 or more so this would have to be a BIG tank.

all these fish are peicefull, a PH of 7.0-6.5 would be fine, soem plecs like to eat the slime that discus produce to feed there fry, brisile nose are the best, and you should have at lest 4 discus, at least 6 tetra, 6 barbs, and 2 geromys

all these fish are peicefull, a PH of 7.0-6.5 would be fine, soem plecs like to eat the slime that discus produce to feed there fry, brisile nose are the best, and you should have at lest 4 discus, at least 6 tetra, 6 barbs, and 2 geromys you will need a tank of at least 75 gallons

Barbs can be rather aggressive, in my experiene.. What kind are they? The tiger barbs I had liked to attack everyone, but I had rosy barbs that were peaceful and had no problem at all. Other than that, your setup sounds great to me.

discus are very shy fish and do best in a species tank without alot of extraciricular activity. So i would not place them in this community environment as it would really stress them out. HTH :)

It all depends on WHAT type of each fish you are putting in.

Gouramis may get nipped by barbs. Plecos get gigantic, except for bristlenoses. Zebra Danios are very active and may bother the gouramis. There are too many types of tetras and barbs, please provide a specific type.

P.T.

Phantom Thief said:
It all depends on WHAT type of each fish you are putting in.

Gouramis may get nipped by barbs. Plecos get gigantic, except for bristlenoses. Zebra Danios are very active and may bother the gouramis. There are too many types of tetras and barbs, please provide a specific type.

P.T.
you took the words right out of my mouth

lets have a list of what you want preferbly with scientific names
then we know what you are asking. :D

tiger barbs are only agressive if there are a fiew, if you keep them in a school they should be fine, they will chase eatchuther instead of the other fish.

Discus would not be suitable for your community. They need a very large tank with specific water conditions - not the same as the rest of the fish that you want. Also, I read in your signature that you are considering a 30 gallon tank. If you want an ordinary plec, he would eventually get too large for that size tank.

Okay....more detail (thanks for all the replies so far :) )

I have:
5 Leopard danios
4 Pearl danios (1 died :( )
1 Clown plec
1 Golden Nugget plec

I would like:
3 Green Tiger barbs
3 Tiger barbs
3 Glowlight tetras
3 Cardinal tetras
3 Black Neon tetras

and then 2 large(ish) fish, ie. Discus. I've had a change of mind about the gouramis as they would be hassled too much by the barbs i think.

(Ideally i'm after a community setup with lots of little fish and a couple of large fish.)

Discus require a temp of about 84-86 degrees and your other fish could not handle that for long. So i would suggest something else for you large fish as the discus will not survive at lower temps and with all those fish in the tank.
Perhaps a couple of small 1-1.5" angels would be alright if you add all the smaller fish first. Perhaps replace the barbs with some harlequin rasboras as the barbs may get out of hand with nipping. HTH :)

:unsure:

At one of the LFS near here they have Discus in with some other small fish all of which are kept at 25c/77f. I can't remember what the small fish were but when i explained my setup and what i wanted to achieve i was told that the Discus would be fine

Could they be a different species or do all Discus have the same requirements?

Perhaps a couple of small 1-1.5" angels

Are there angels that stay that small? I thought they all grew big.

LFS tanks are not the great long term situation for alot of fish. They bring them in in hopes of a quick sale and dont really cater to the specifics of the individual fish. They will often tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale.
Here is a link for you to research these fish.

the size is the size i would recommend you buy the angels at. Yes, they will get larger (about six inches in the body) but if they grow with the smaller fish already in the tank they will not think of them as food. HTH :)

Thanks for the link. I've had a good look and will probably leave the Discus :sad: Although I would love some I don't want to keep them in a tank that's not exactly what they need.

Thanks for the info on Angels. They were another consideration but I was told that they would not be compatible as I wanted Tetras, etc. (by a different LFS to the one who had the Discus). If they will grow up with smaller fish then i'll get some of them instead.

Final questions :*) How many and what species?

Many, many thanks for stopping me from making a mistake :)

Most reactions

Back