Fish lost color in my dads tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bianca_m35

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so my dad has a 10 gallon tank with a snail, a minnow, tetra, and a rainbow shark. The rainbow shark was in my tank but he got beat up on so my dad took him in. I gave him a few live plants from my tank (ammania gracilis and caradamine lyrata) the lyrata died pretty much immediately and the ammania is like stunted. I tested his water and it was all correct levels. He feeds them the food I feed my tank. But they all lost their colors. They're active but even my shark i gave him has lost its color completely. It's the right temperature and everything and they've been in there for like 4 months now. My tank has Cory's, betta, mollies, angel fish, shark, snails, tetra and they are super bright and active and live together in a community tank fine. I literally cannot figure out what could be wrong with his little tank? Help

Attachments

• 20200712_122532.jpg
    20200712_122532.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200712_122534.jpg
    20200712_122534.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200712_122538.jpg
    20200712_122538.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 57
There are a lot of stocking mistakes here right off the bat...

The rainbow shark is going to get huge, and needs a much bigger tank. I cant tell by the photo, but most "Minnows" need to be in groups of 6 or more. (Now that is in your dads tank)

How big is your tank? It would need to be quite big in order to house all of those fish. Will you please give the size of your tank, actual number of fish, etc.

What do you feed the rainbow fish?

(Another thing I might add: Bettas aren't community fish, and shouldn't be kept as such.)

There are a lot of stocking mistakes here right off the bat...

The rainbow shark is going to get huge, and needs a much bigger tank. I cant tell by the photo, but most "Minnows" need to be in groups of 6 or more. (Now that is in your dads tank)

How big is your tank? It would need to be quite big in order to house all of those fish. Will you please give the size of your tank, actual number of fish, etc.

What do you feed the rainbow fish?

(Another thing I might add: Bettas aren't community fish, and shouldn't be kept as such.)
My tank is 65 gallons, there a 3 peppered corys, 1 rainbow shark, 1 angelfish, 1 betta, 1 Buenos aires tetra from his tank who swims with the molly and rainbow shark in my tank now and 1 Molly. 3 snails. I feed the shark algae tablets with steamed veggies once in awhile and it will eat flakes sometimes too. The betta gets along with every fish and came in way after all the other fish were settled in my tank is fine lol. Also yes the rainbow shark will be given to someone else soon but the rest of the minnows in his tank died. Also the shark eats bloodworms as well

Last edited:
You should not plan of the other fish dying, just to get rid of a fish you shouldn’t have.

Your 65g tank seems ok, although you need at least 3 more Cory cats. Also, even if the betta seems “ok”, it is not. Usually they will seem like they are getting along, and then just snap.

@Byron could really help you here more than I could...

@PheonixKingZ is right, many try to introduce Betta's into a community tank and believe it to be a success because it doesn't immediately rip another fish to pieces or vice versa. Even if your betta looks as if he's fine, he most definitely isn't because they really are not community fish in the slightest. Pet store employees will tell you it will probably be fine and even some youtubers will make videos telling you that it's okay to put a betta in a community tank, but it shouldn't happen and that betta will be suffering even if he isn't physically showing it.

I know how lovely they are and how attached you probably are to your betta so my advice would be to set him up in atleast a 5gl of his own. If you don't have the resources then in would advise you to rehome him.

I can't really help with your original question if I'm honest, so sorry about that.

Best of luck!

I agree with @EllRog and @PheonixKingZ about your stocking, the tetras are shoaling fish and also need a group of 6 or more, the lost of color is due to stress, Betta have a type A personality so even if they do not attack other fish every time a fish gets too close they will stress out themselves. It is best to keep them in their own tank. The brightness of your tank will also stress fish. The tetra come from shaded jungle streams. I would suggest some floating plants and dimming the lights, also a dark background for the back of your tank will help. More plants will also help, they need places to hide.

I agree with @EllRog and @PheonixKingZ about your stocking, the tetras are shoaling fish and also need a group of 6 or more, the lost of color is due to stress, Betta have a type A personality so even if they do not attack other fish every time a fish gets too close they will stress out themselves. It is best to keep them in their own tank. The brightness of your tank will also stress fish. The tetra come from shaded jungle streams. I would suggest some floating plants and dimming the lights, also a dark background for the back of your tank will help. More plants will also help, they need places to hide.
Loss of color may be caused by poor quality food as well.

@bianca_m35, what brand of food is it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back