The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chad

Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Though I certainly know that fish are smarter than is commonly thought by non-hobbyists this study demonstrates a cognitive level I had not expected. I think this could lead to new husbandry practices for reducing aggression in tanks. Granted this is one species, but it's likely to apply to others as well. 

"A fascinating new research discovered that some tropical fish such as cichlids don't need to fight every other fish to determine their social standing. They can infer hierarchy by simply watching the interaction of conspecifics then logically deduce their position in the community."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/fish-can-infer-their-social-standing-by-reasoning

Smart little things aren't they! Interesting read, I guess this happens everywhere, my cats fought it out till they established a leader... dogs do this, so do horses etc, a fish is always underestimated or even overlooked.

I first noticed intelligence in my fish when I kept my first puffer. Due to their stereoscopic eyes it's easy to see them focus. Once I saw what he was focusing on I was able to attract the gaze and train him. 

Cool, I guess people just aren't as interested in training fish like they do a dog or any other land animal due to the fact that they are under water and probably wouldn't benefit a human. But I reckon most people are missing a trick here, fish are so comical to watch and they give me endless hours of enjoyment.

Even with rank positioning I have often wondered how each species know there own.is this a chemical or physical interaction.
Looking at where some species school together.is it a size and shape scenario.

It's likely a combination depending on the species. Some it will be visible, others it will be electrosensory, and others it might be odor. 

Most reactions

trending

Back