Fish-keeping is so therapeutic

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mollyforever

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am new to fish keeping, started about 3-4 months ago. I only have mollies in my tank and even though unfortunately three of them passed away I love this hobby so much.

At first it was kind of overwhelming since I didn’t really understand how much I have to be dedicated in terms of time, money, and the connection with the fish. When some of my fish got sick it was pure panic. But now that my fish are healthy and i am almost done cycling a new fishless tank, there is less panic.

I have some personal issues like anxiety and ADHD. Today I was at a military air show at the bay area with my husband and my toddler, and there were so many people everywhere. Plus it was SO loud with the jets flying everywhere. My heart was pounding and I couldn’t breathe comfortably..

When i finally got back home, relaxed a little bit and did a water change, I instantly felt better.. Like it was more effective than medication.

When I do tank maintenance, I have nothing on my mind. I only think about the routine, what I do next. And when Im finally done cleaning the equipment, I feel so much at ease..

I am so glad I found this hobby. There is always so much to learn and its so therapeutic! 😊

I just wanted share my experience with people here. Does anyone else feel that fish keeping is sorta like meditation or therapy?

I completely get where you're coming from, I too suffer from severe anxiety and have for most of my life. Whenever I'm feeling anxious or overwhelmed I watch my fish for a while and I calm right down. When I do a water change or other maintenance, nothing else matters, and when finished I feel recharged and calm.
It really is like therapy for the soul😊

Just don't get in over your head and have more fish tanks and fish than you can handle - even though you still enjoy watching the fish they start to become a burden, I'm kind of at that stage now and am thinking about getting rid of all the fresh water tanks and just work on my salt water tank. I have it set up with a reef and filled with salt water but no time to cycle the tank so I can start buying fish and coral (that's what I've wanted since I was a child - so did my dad - but at the time we were way too poor to do a marine tank). The rest has now become a lot of work,

I also have to agree that it's therapeutic. It calms me...
Just don't get in over your head and have more fish tanks and fish than you can handle - even though you still enjoy watching the fish they start to become a burden, I'm kind of at that stage now and am thinking about getting rid of all the fresh water tanks and just work on my salt water tank. I have it set up with a reef and filled with salt water but no time to cycle the tank so I can start buying fish and coral (that's what I've wanted since I was a child - so did my dad - but at the time we were way too poor to do a marine tank). The rest has now become a lot of work,
I've got over 80 tanks running overhere. And to me it's not a burden , despite of my bad health. But of course, wether it's a burden or not, it differs with each individual person.

Yeah two tanks are enough for me because I have a baby haha I think my daughter is a little bit jealous sometimes because when im watching the fish she comes over and says “night night fish” and then tries to get me out of the room lol

I completely get where you're coming from, I too suffer from severe anxiety and have for most of my life. Whenever I'm feeling anxious or overwhelmed I watch my fish for a while and I calm right down. When I do a water change or other maintenance, nothing else matters, and when finished I feel recharged and calm.
It really is like therapy for the soul😊
Exactly! Well said 😊 it is therapy for the soul😌

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back