Fish keeping absolutes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
There are A TON of opinions about fish keeping. But there are some ABSOLUTES. Here are my absolutes, put yours down bellow.
1. Bettas need a minimum of 2.5 gallons any less is cruel and unusual. They also need filters and heaters and lots of plants.
2. Live plants trump fake plants 100% of the time
3. If you plan on keeping a beta sorority you need to raise them together and keep them in more than 35 gallons.
4. Water parameters matter!!!!! Donā€™t keep fish that donā€™t match your water
5. Donā€™t for the love of god keep goldfish in a bowl
6. Heaters are 100% necessary
7. One male betta per tank
8. Angels need 50 gallons. (I sadly can never keep them)
9. Donā€™t trust what the pet store employee says 99.9999999999% of the time

What are yours?

There are A TON of opinions about fish keeping. But there are some ABSOLUTES. Here are my absolutes, put yours down bellow.
1. Bettas need a minimum of 2.5 gallons any less is cruel and unusual. They also need filters and heaters and lots of plants.
2. Live plants trump fake plants 100% of the time
3. If you plan on keeping a beta sorority you need to raise them together and keep them in more than 35 gallons.
4. Water parameters matter!!!!! Donā€™t keep fish that donā€™t match your water
5. Donā€™t for the love of god keep goldfish in a bowl
6. Heaters are 100% necessary
7. One male betta per tank
8. Angels need 50 gallons. (I sadly can never keep them)
9. Donā€™t trust what the pet store employee says 99.9999999999% of the time

What are yours?
Totally agree!
I might get a part time job at my LFS in the future so when I do, won't entirely agree with the last one...
Mine:
Bettas need a BARE minimum of 5 gallons. 10 gallons is the THRIVING minimum.

I agree with everything you said except for one and eight... Reason why I disagree with one is because the absolute minimum is 5 gallons but I would only keep one in 10g... I also disagree with eight, while bigger is always better, the absolute minimum is 30 gallons

There are a few I don't agree with as absolutes, though I really don't agree with absolutes, in my opinion they lead to dogma, kind of like cutting the wings off a turkey before putting it in the oven. I would say though, that if one deviates from the list that they should have done some research so that they know what to expect and have a fallback plan if things go bad.

2) Live plants trump fake plants - doesn't take into consideration the type of fish you are keeping. If you can keep plants yes but if not then artificial are ok. (All my tanks have plants, even if they don't have fish)
6) Heaters are not a 100% requirement. Depends on your location, and on the type of fish you keep.
8) Until recently I would agree with you on this but I keep Angels in a 37 tall, 60 tall, and 75 normal tanks. I only put angels in the 37 tall recently but their behavior doesn't seem any different than in the larger tanks. I will say that the 37 only contains a breeding pair and occasionally their offspring. In general it has been my experience that the angels are as interested in what is going on outside the tank as what is going on inside the tank.

The other absolute I disagree with is that one always needs a fishless cycle. My personal experience has been if you start with a small number of fish in a planted tank you can start right away.

As always these are just my opinions.

The only absolutes are.

Live plants are necessary for all freshwater fish.
Your tank can never be big enough, set up the biggest tank you can from the start. The more water the better.

I also disagree with eight, while bigger is always better, the absolute minimum is 30 gallons
Disagree with your reasoning to some extent. Angels are a shoaling species and need a big tank in order to accommodate a group together. The only acceptable time to put angels in a 30 gallon is when you're breeding them. Also, would you put a 2' tall angel in a 30 long term?

I wouldnt say they are necessary, I would say that they are beneficial... For those that have fish that eat their plants or always dig them up... Sometimes you just dont add plants which is ok. Or people just dont want to deal with live plants. In that case silk plants are just fine
The only absolutes are.

Live plants are necessary for all freshwater fish.
Your tank can never be big enough, set up the biggest tank you can from the start. The more water the better.

Disagree with your reasoning to some extent. Angels are a shoaling species and need a big in order to accommodate a group together. The only acceptable time to put angels in a 30 gallon is when you're breeding them. Also, would you put a 2' tall angel in a 30 long term?
I meant to say 37 whoops... But yes I would have a pair in a 37 long term

Disagree with your reasoning to some extent. Angels are a shoaling species and need a big in order to accommodate a group together. The only acceptable time to put angels in a 30 gallon is when you're breeding them. Also, would you put a 2' tall angel in a 30 long term?
You have a 2 foot tall angel?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back