Fish keep dying!!

Get API Freshwater Master Kit and test daily for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates.

But you're advising a beginner to do something with a high potential risk.

If the replacement water is the same temp as the tank water, no potential harm.

"Cold" water added to tank (which might be much colder than the tank, you don't know their source or locality) does come with a risk. If there's a big temp difference, risk of shock and death, and at the very least, stress.

So the simpliest thing for a beginner is to temperature match, to go with the safest course of action that doesn't have the potential to be dangerous.

If your source water is close in temp to your tank and it's a small partial water change, or you're trying to induce spawning in fish, then colder water changes are used, sure. But by people who know what they're doing at that point.
A question about doing water changes with the same temperature as the tank. How do you perform a 75% water change on a 400liter tank using water of exactly the same temp. You need 300 liters of water.

A question about doing water changes with the same temperature as the tank. How do you perform a 75% water change on a 400liter tank using water of exactly the same temp. You need 300 liters of water.
I have no idea how people with giant tanks do it. I think most people with huge tanks use something like a Python, and a mixer tap. Get the water temp close to your tank temp (within a couple of degrees) and refill.

The largest tank I do large changes on is 220 odd litres, but I use 15 litre buckets like a plebian, so i just add enough boiling water from a kettle to each bucket I'm refilling with. Float a thermometer to check then water condition and refill. I know how much water to add to the kettle to heat a bucket at a time and pretty good at telling the temp is close enough just by putting my hand in, but I still use a thermometer to be sure since you can fool yourself, and especially as the seasons change. Now it's getting cooler, it takes more hot water than it did during the heatwave in the height of summer, and in the middle of winter I need a full kettle full.

I have no idea how people with giant tanks do it. I think most people with huge tanks use something like a Python, and a mixer tap. Get the water temp close to your tank temp (within a couple of degrees) and refill.

The largest tank I do large changes on is 220 odd litres, but I use 15 litre buckets like a plebian, so i just add enough boiling water from a kettle to each bucket I'm refilling with. Float a thermometer to check then water condition and refill. I know how much water to add to the kettle to heat a bucket at a time and pretty good at telling the temp is close enough just by putting my hand in, but I still use a thermometer to be sure since you can fool yourself, and especially as the seasons change. Now it's getting cooler, it takes more hot water than it did during the heatwave in the height of summer, and in the middle of winter I need a full kettle full.
Curious, why not use water from hot water tap? Unless your hot water is tank fed?

You just answered that one yourself. Most HW systems in the UK are tank fed.
Ok, didn’t realise that. How can I tell if mine is tank fed? My boiler comes on when the hot water tap is on.
my home is eco home and have solar panels to help heat the water. I have a tank in the upstairs closet.

Curious, why not use water from hot water tap? Unless your hot water is tank fed?
@kwi answered you :) I wouldn't trust hot water that had been in the attic tank.

I have it down to a fine art now anyway. I put the first kettle on before I finished draining the tank water, fill bucket from tap while adding the boiling water and water conditioner. Throw thermometer in, refill kettle, check temp, take bucket through and by the time I've added the first bucket, kettle is usually ready for the next, and repeat until tank is full or my back gives out.

@kwi answered you :) I wouldn't trust hot water that had been in the attic tank.

I have it down to a fine art now anyway. I put the first kettle on before I finished draining the tank water, fill bucket from tap while adding the boiling water and water conditioner. Throw thermometer in, refill kettle, check temp, take bucket through and by the time I've added the first bucket, kettle is usually ready for the next, and repeat until tank is full or my back gives out.
Thanks, to be honest I’m not sure if my hot water is tank fed. Suppose just to be safe I will use boiled water from kettle. It’s still too warm for me too add hot water but as it’s already autumn I’m sure I will soon need hot water.

Ok, didn’t realise that. How can I tell if mine is tank fed? My boiler comes on when the hot water tap is on.
my home is eco home and have solar panels to help heat the water. I have a tank in the upstairs closet.
Your on demand system is usually mains fed, check in your attic for a storage tank though. If you can't access the attic turn off your mains and open your hot tap, if it stops quickly no storage tank.
Newer builds generally have no storage tanks.

Thanks, to be honest I’m not sure if my hot water is tank fed. Suppose just to be safe I will use boiled water from kettle. It’s still too warm for me too add hot water but as it’s already autumn I’m sure I will soon need hot water.
If you have a combi boiler you can use warm tap water as this is from the mains. If not, it's safer to assume it's tank fed.

Your tank seems cycled, your filter maintenance is conducive to maintaining beneficial bacteria. I don't think your problems are ammonia but now you have your own tests you can keep a check on this.

The fact that your fish are spinning in circles and many of them have this symptom indicates a parasitic disease that can effect the brain. I don't believe there is a cure? I think @seangee has some experience of it.

Take some tap water and let it stand for 24 hours then test it for pH. The pH stabilises after the gases have dissipated so you may find it is higher (like the tank water) than when you tested it straight out of the tap.

The fact that your fish are spinning in circles and many of them have this symptom indicates a parasitic disease that can effect the brain. I don't believe there is a cure? I think @seangee has some experience of it.
Well I don't claim to be an expert and it may not be the same thing. What type of fish are affected? I did battle a similar problem and was losing approx 1 fish a week. After trying different treatments I gave up and euthanised all the affected fish. I have had no problems since. If this seems too drastic make sure you isolate any fish at the first hint of any symptoms and don't return them to the tank unless you are 100% sure they are cured.

Personally I wouldn't keep adding new fish if the others were mysteriously dying!

And if fish are "disappearing" - could they be jumping out of the tank? I've had corys do this and the gap they got through wouldn't (I thought) have accommodated a guppy.

Check behind your tank.

Pictures of the fish?

If there are ammonia issues, then there is a problem with the filter or how you are cleaning it.
What sort of filter do you have?
Is it run continuously 24/7?
How do you clean the filter?
How often do you clean the filter?

What is your water source like?
Are you using mains water, well water, rain water, or something else?
Have you tested your water source for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH?
Colin!

You're back!

Broke out of the oubliette, I see - excellent! I've missed your cynical comments.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back