Fish Keep Dieing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

donald110

Reaction score
hi i have my fish tank running for over six months, but the last 3 months i have lost 4 fish. i have checked my water, and results are good.

ammonia 0 - .25
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 - 40

and this was before i did my weekly water change. i use api freshwater master test kit.

i can't see anything wrong with my fish

but the ones that have died were brought from pets at home and there where mollies, we lost 4 of the 5 we brought, and no other fish. is it the fish or have i got a disease.

really want to solve this before i lose more, thank you for replies.

Your water stats do look fine.

1. What's your tank's water capacity.
2. What's your current stock?
3. Have any of your current stock been introduced only recently.

Mollies are considered brackish tropical fish and often don't do as well in a freshwater set up. From what I've read it's not uncommon for them to gradually deteriorate over time in freshwater conditions. However, there may be other underlying problems in your tank which need clarifying by answering the questions above.

:hi:

my fish tank is 165 liters

in order of fish got

6 plates
4 guppies
5 pets at home molllies (now only 1 left)
1 dalmation molly (replacing molly fish lost)
2 keyhole cichlids

so fish tank not even fully stock, yet really want this sorted.

The results are not that good,has the tank has been running for the last 6 months,then NO ammonia should be visable...

Have you done owt to the tank or filter lately?

Could be a bad batch of mollies,but that dont account for your ammonia.

Yes you are understocked and your water stats look ok. My guess would therefore be that your mollies have unfortunately fallen foul of not being kept in brackish water conditions as they really should be. Although people say they are hardy fish, I have read numerous posts on here who have had them gradually deteriorate in FW. This is a very common mistake as a lot of LFS will not point it out or are not aware of it themselves. Put it down to experience and just make sure you research any new fish you hope to stock really well before buying. Posts below will tell you more about mollies.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/124252-black-molly/

thank you for your help i did not know mollies had to be kept in black water. so no more mollies, as i want a fresh water tank.

and the reason why my ammonia reading between 0 and .25 is because my tape water has the same reading, before and after it been treated to get rid of the chlorine. i have posted on here before about my ammonia, and it a really slit reading. closer to 0 than .25

so i don't hurt anymore fish, what other fish would be good in my tank (freshwater), lots of suggestions, then i can chose. this may appearer lazy but i am dyslexic, something that take you 10 mins to read is about is 2 - 3 hours for me, plus a huge headache.

thank you again for you help.

Fairly hardy but interesting species I would recommend are:

Glowlight tetras
Cardinal tetras
Harlequin rasboras
Most cory species
Dwarf Neon Rainbows
Gold Barbs

Mollies are never kept in black water, that stuff is almost devoid of all minerals. They are sometimes kept in brackish water or even straight salt water. Mollies do not require brackish as that writeup seems to imply. (Note to self, go fix that entry) On the other hand they do require a significant mineral content in their water. I happen to live in an area where the local tap water is quite hard. For me, mollies not only survive but thrive in nothing but tap water. For people living in locations where the tap water is low in minerals, some form of mineral additives are a must. If you are sure it will not harm your other fish, you could add any number of mineral supplements. That last is a big IF. I am uncertain of the water needs of your keyholes but the other fish would do fine in hard water along with the mollies. There are lots of fish that I do not keep because my hard water would kill them or cause them to suffer. Fish adapt to water that is not ideal for them, to some extent, but we cannot expect a fish that has evolved in hard water rocky bottomed mountain streams to suddenly be placed into a rain forest water quality that is devoid of minerals and to thrive. The poor things are having to fight millions of years of evolution to suddenly find their water devoid of minerals.
The way that fish control their internal mineral content is quite different for a salt water fish which constantly drinks and a low mineral content fish that only ever gets any internal water from it being absorbed through the skin. That poor fresh water fish urinates constantly to remove the excess water that it can't help absorbing.
Think of what happens to you if you leave your hand submerged for as little as 10 minutes. The water absorbed through your skin is visible in the wrinkly look the fingers will get. In ocean water, you simply will not get that wrinkly look very quickly because the salinity of your body is similar to the salinity of salt water.
Next we need to look at fish like common pet shop mollies. They are called euryhaline, which simply means they are quite adaptable within a large range of salinity. A typical pet shop molly can adapt to anything from my hard water to straight, undiluted, salt water. My own water is on the low end of their tolerance though. Much softer than my water is going to condemn a pet shop molly to a slow death of absorbing more water than they are capable of removing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back