Fish-in cycle, almost there (hopefully)?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks for all of the replies.

- Filter does agitate the water surface plus I have an air stone for lots of bubbles that the fish love.
- pH is around 7.8
- Using a test strip our water is "Hard"

Thanks for all of the replies.

- Filter does agitate the water surface plus I have an air stone for lots of bubbles that the fish love.
- pH is around 7.8
- Using a test strip our water is "Hard"

Ok, that’s good as it sound like good oxygen exchange will be occurring.

Ph of 7.8 is perfect for cycling, the closer the pH is to 8.0 the quicker the cycle will go.
Generally pH of between 6.8 to 8.5 is good.

If pH is below 6.5 the cycle will slow down dramatically and if pH is 6 or below then the cycle will simply stall.

So the water is ‘hard’, right, perhaps if you look at your water providers website and look up water hardness or water quality report or something like that and see if you can get more approximate numbers.

Normally one finds these with different units such has dH, dkH, mg/l, degrees Clark, degrees German and ppm.

Not a problem at all though, you have hard water species fish in platies and mollies so they’re perfectly fine in hard water.

Hard or soft water won’t really affect the cycle anyway as long as ph is not over 8.5 or below 6.5.

I only learned that the other day too, from seeing @Ch4rlie mention it somewhere! I already used a syringe to pull water for a sample just 'cos it's easier to get the water to the white line that way, but began taking the sample from lower down in the tank since then, I used to take samples from the surface too. API should include a syringe and a note about that in the instructions I reckon.
Turkey basters have more than two uses

I cannot imagine what other use you could be alluding to :angel:

For basting turkeys of course..... :lol:

But seriously yeah, turkey baster is a terrific tool for fishkeeping, taking water sample from deeper into water column, sucking up debris from substrate, really good for sucking up leftover uneaten algae wafers and sucking shrimp moult shells that eerily is really detailed and look exactly like a dead shrimp!

For basting turkeys of course..... :lol:

But seriously yeah, turkey baster is a terrific tool for fishkeeping, taking water sample from deeper into water column, sucking up debris from substrate, really good for sucking up leftover uneaten algae wafers and sucking shrimp moult shells that eerily is really detailed and look exactly like a dead shrimp!
It's almost creepy how perfect the moults are sometimes, isn't it? You can see every little leg and line in the shell. Pretty cool.

I don't have a turkey baster, thinking I should pick one up now.

Using the test strips which I know aren't accurate I got 300GH and somewhere between 80-120 KH.

I don't use the test strips for my ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate but using them just now did show the same reading for nitrates in my tap and tank.

So the water is ‘hard’, right, perhaps if you look at your water providers website and look up water hardness or water quality report or something like that and see if you can get more approximate numbers.

Normally one finds these with different units such has dH, dkH, mg/l, degrees Clark, degrees German and ppm.

Not a problem at all though, you have hard water species fish in platies and mollies so they’re perfectly fine in hard water.

Hard or soft water won’t really affect the cycle anyway as long as ph is not over 8.5 or below 6.5.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back