Fish Identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cityfish36

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

A buddy of mine is moving to a new apartment and is giving me his 2 fish. He has no idea what kind of fish they are because he got them as a gift. If someone can please identify them it will help me out a lot.

Thank you. 

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 153
The colors are a bit either washed out from the light or drab from stess so it's a little hard for me to feel 100% but I think they are rainbowfish. Maybe an Australian rainbow. Similar to this...
australian+rainbowfish,1.jpg

They look kinda like dwarf neon rainbowfish? Not sure. :)

Ideally they should be in shoals of 6-7+ :) . If you decide on getting more then you won't regret it. They'll be so much more lively. :)

Definitely dwarf neon rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox). Looks like top one is a female.

iapple5678 said:
Definitely dwarf neon rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox). Looks like top one is a female.
the male is constantly chasing the female. why ?

I'm guessing he wants to breed with her. The best way to combat this is with more females. The ideal would be maybe 1 male and 2-3 females.

TallTree01 said:
I'm guessing he wants to breed with her. The best way to combat this is with more females. The ideal would be maybe 1 male and 2-3 females.
how long will the chasing go on ?

Til he no longer feels the need to chase her. When thatll be is anyone's guess.

As above best with rainbows is multiple females to one male. Usually for a proper school I prefer 2 males and 4+ females. Males will chase females, thats just their nature. its just important to have multiple females so he doesn't chase any particular one too much. I always go with 2 males usually so they have to spend some of their time displaying with eachother about WHO gets to chase the females around. Rainbows have a hierarchy in a group and are really fascinating fish with complex social order when in a proper group. Mine spawn early morning so they are always very active then and that activity calms down during the day.

Its also very common for rainbows to show washed out colors like in your pics when not kept in a proper group/environment. Their mood has a strong influence over their colors and they can change colors/shades pretty rapidly depending on the species.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back