Fish ID

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, could anyone tell me what type of fish this is please (the black, white and yellow one)

Attachments

• C07A6555-E858-43C3-B239-B171BF3534E5.png
    C07A6555-E858-43C3-B239-B171BF3534E5.png
    374 KB · Views: 861
Hi, could anyone tell me what type of fish this is please (the black, white and yellow one)
a small chiclid, probably good when kept in a shoal. idk what it is tho, ask an employee maybe? (it looks like a holding tank so i assume it was at a pet store)

a small chiclid, probably good when kept in a shoal. idk what it is tho, ask an employee maybe? (it looks like a holding tank so i assume it was at a pet store)
Yeah I was looking at a website of a shop to see what they had but it didn’t say what it was on the website. Was just curious that’s all.
thank you though

Yeah I was looking at a website of a shop to see what they had but it didn’t say what it was on the website. Was just curious that’s all.
thank you though
lol, maybe call them or send them an email? if it is an online store, i am sure they know what they are selling mostly. it could just be a mutt and cannot describe very specifically :)

That is an Aurutus, an African Cichlid. They are highly aggressive and not compatible with anything other than other aggressive African Cichlids.
Ah okay thank you, just trying to find some hard water fish other than livebearers.

Ah okay thank you, just trying to find some hard water fish other than livebearers.
There are options :) How hard is your water and how big is your tank? Things like Rainbow Fish and Central American Cichlids could be good candidates in larger tanks. Or if its a nano tank Celestial Pearl Danios and their striped cousin are good choices, rummy nose rasboras, rosy loaches, peacock gudgeons too.

If your tank is big enough though and your water is hard enough dont be put off by African Cichlids. Some of them are incredible and there are all kinds of combinations you can do. I've been reading a lot about Tangkanyians recently and its really facsinating some of the fish in there like shell dwellers and cypochromis. Or if the tank is big you could do peacock cichlid tank or mbunas.

Wills

There are options :) How hard is your water and how big is your tank? Things like Rainbow Fish and Central American Cichlids could be good candidates in larger tanks. Or if its a nano tank Celestial Pearl Danios and their striped cousin are good choices, rummy nose rasboras, rosy loaches, peacock gudgeons too.

If your tank is big enough though and your water is hard enough dont be put off by African Cichlids. Some of them are incredible and there are all kinds of combinations you can do. I've been reading a lot about Tangkanyians recently and its really facsinating some of the fish in there like shell dwellers and cypochromis. Or if the tank is big you could do peacock cichlid tank or mbunas.

Wills
I don’t have the biggest tank, it’s 64 litres and my water hardness is 309ppm. At the moment it houses 4 guppies and 3 peppered cories (I realise these are soft water fish but I didn’t know at the time). So struggling to find small fish that like hard water. Would go for all male platies as I don’t want fry but I’ve also heard males can be aggressive towards each other.

It would be the ones from my nano list above as good candidates. Over 300ppm is quite high but a school of one of the Rasboras I mentioned could work well as they are a small fish but packed with colour. Some shrimps do well in harder water but best to stick to easy ones like Ghost, Amano or Cherry.

Male Platies I dont think would be an issue, even the males are not that fiesty when kept together, male mollies can be problematic and I think Platies get tarred with the same brush sometimes rather than being an issue.

Wills

It would be the ones from my nano list above as good candidates. Over 300ppm is quite high but a school of one of the Rasboras I mentioned could work well as they are a small fish but packed with colour. Some shrimps do well in harder water but best to stick to easy ones like Ghost, Amano or Cherry.

Male Platies I dont think would be an issue, even the males are not that fiesty when kept together, male mollies can be problematic and I think Platies get tarred with the same brush sometimes rather than being an issue.

Wills
I’ll have a look into the ones you mentioned.
Thank you for the help

I’ll have a look into the ones you mentioned.
Thank you for the help
With it only being a small tank would RO water be an option? You could get a 25ltr can from a local fish shop and mix it 50/50 with your tap water and get more neutral water. Assuming you do 50% water changes and after allowing for substrate, decor and actual water level you would be changing about 25 litres a week so 1 can would last 2 weeks but would mean your hardness would drop to 150ppm? Or even if you did a smaller percentage to keep it around 200ppm for the guppies it would still give you some other options?

Wills

With it only being a small tank would RO water be an option? You could get a 25ltr can from a local fish shop and mix it 50/50 with your tap water and get more neutral water. Assuming you do 50% water changes and after allowing for substrate, decor and actual water level you would be changing about 25 litres a week so 1 can would last 2 weeks but would mean your hardness would drop to 150ppm? Or even if you did a smaller percentage to keep it around 200ppm for the guppies it would still give you some other options?

Wills
Yeah I did consider this, but in the end I thought id just work with the water I have rather than trying to alter it.
Thank you though

Depending on the water hardness of the local petshops, you can keep almost whatever they sell in your water.

The fish they are selling have been bred and raised in the pH & hardness you likely already have - if they were not, everyone would be returning them because they die once being placed in the new aquarium.

It's always best to try and mimic their natural habitat, but most tank bred fish are hardy in a lot of different water conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back