Fish ID please? Cichlid hybrid?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was at Petsmart the other day and was looking at all the different cichlids as I just purchased a new 120 gallon. I saw a small tank labeled "Texas Cichlids" I looked inside and all of the fish looked the same. Then I saw this beautiful black and white fish swim out of this tree-trunk looking decoration. He was definately a type of cichlid and I am sorry I don't have a picture of him but he kind of looked like this as far as body-type and color goes:
haha.png

(That is NOT the actual picture of the fish...I did that on paint in like 2 seconds to show the coloring of the actual fish I saw.)

Half of him was white then his other half was black and white vertical stripes. I was thinking he might have been a convict but he was in the texas cichlid tank and he was half white? I really liked him and wanted to get him as soon as my tank cycled but I didn't want to buy a fish without knowing what it was. Can anyone please help me?

actually I bet it was a Blue texas...Herichthys cyanoguttatus. the reason it was colored differently is because it was probably the dominant fish in the tank. ;)

for those kind of cichlids, they dont get their full color untill their adults am i right? so if its young it could be either one, we dont have an accual pic my guess is green texan but im not sure -_-

you're about half right. yes it's true that many cichlids won't show their full color until they are sub-adults or adults. however, the difference between a blue texas (H. cyanoguttatus) and pearlscale or green texas (H. carpintis) can be seen from the size of about 1". the cyanoguttatus has a lot more very small spots while the carpintis (in the picture above) has much fewer larger spots.

I'm also going by what I've seen more often at Petsmarts and that is the regular blue texas H. cyanoguttatus. I don't think I've ever seen a carpintis at Petsmart though this is not to say that they couldn't carry them. Also, cyanoguttatus is more likely to show a white frontal coloration and darker, striped rear coloration as is depicted in the edited pic in the first post. The first picture in this thread shows a similar type of "dominance" coloration on a carpintis. the spots are still very visible and the carpintis doesn't get as light on the head region as a cyanoguttatus. :)

that's a very good picture of a blue texas cichlid--Herichthys cyanoguttatus-- in the coloration that Raechal saw. :)

Elisabeth83 said:
Is this the fish your talking about?? Very cool fish :D

texas.jpg
:wub: Yes, but way smaller. He was only about 2-3 inches in length. His behavior was so cute too. There was this tree stump in the tank and he would come swim out of it, look at the other cichlids in "his" tank and "pick" one out. He would them swim up to them and kind of bump them out of the way. Then when they would try to retaliate he would swim back down his tree stump. He was so small, he was the only fish that could fit in there. :p I wish I could have bought him then and I hope he is still for sale by the time my tank cycles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back