FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SteakNShrimp

Reaction score
I just noticed that the ram cichlid that I bought Saturday has ICH. What should I do? How do I treat the fish? How do I treat the tank? I am not able to purchase any medicine today...

I have taken the Ram out of the tank and put it in some dechlorinated water with 4 tablespoons of devolved aquarium salt.

All new fish should be quarantined for that very reason. That being said, the best way to treat ich is to raise your temp to 86F and leave it there for 10 days. Vac your substrate every couple of days. I also use aquarium salt with the elevated temp but many don’t. Good luck!

There is no point separating the sick fish because the white spot parasites will be in the main tank and will affect all the fish in the tank. Move the fish back into the main tank and increase the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then lower the temperature back down.

You can add salt if you like but I don't bother.

Do a big (75-90%) water change and gravel clean the substrate before increasing the temperature.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if it's a new tank (less than 2 months old) do not clean the filter.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water.

The following link has information about white spot. The first post on page 1 and second post on page 2 are worth reading.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-is-ich.7092/

Colin is correct. The salt doesn’t cure the ich. I only use it to improve gill function when the temperature is raised so they breathe easier. I have a lot of cooler water fish though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back