Fish Gradings?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Ok so I know there are wild caught, f1 are the fry of wild caught f2 are f1 parentage fry etc (so I think anyway :lol: ) but looking at other fish I notice these are graded A AA AAA??? How are they graded? My other question is if you are new to it all what proof would you get if you were paying top price for a wild caught, f1 or grade AAA fish?

Ok so I know there are wild caught, f1 are the fry of wild caught f2 are f1 parentage fry etc (so I think anyway :lol: ) but looking at other fish I notice these are graded A AA AAA??? How are they graded? My other question is if you are new to it all what proof would you get if you were paying top price for a wild caught, f1 or grade AAA fish?

Which kind of fish are you talking about? I can answer your question strictly speaking Discus, but this may not be of much help for you. Anyways, here it goes. Normally fish are graded on shape, size, colors, finage, eyes, etc. This can vary slightly depending on the species of fish in question I would imagine. For example, eyes, size, shape, pattern, finage, coloration and body all go into grading for Discus. Breeders will group their fish themselves, so if you are serious about the question the breeder/importer would be able to tell you more. As far as wilds go, I have not noticed much cost difference (excluding the very rare wild types importers sell.) I read a book that stated you can tell the difference between domestics and wilds by the amount of rays in their fins, I would have to find the book though to explain exactly what it said. If you want to be certain you are getting what you pay for, stick to well respected importers/breeders and don't cheap out.

I haven't seen fish sold as 'Grade A' personally. I know shrimp such as crystal red shrimp are often sold in grades that are distinguishable.

I agree with Discuskeeper403 in that is no sure way to know if your fish are F0 or F1, F2 etc. You can only really go on the reputation of the seller. Of course with some fish there is a world of difference between 'wild' and the mass produced specimins you often see for sale (Betta's are a nice example).

Though I haven't heard of a difference in the number of rays in their fins, sounds a bit suspicious to me. Being that the fish would still be of the same species.

I know koi are sold under "grades" and while nosing around the net today I spotted an add for grade A and grade AAA flowerhorns, it was just a general wonder who grades the fish and to what standards?

I know koi are sold under "grades" and while nosing around the net today I spotted an add for grade A and grade AAA flowerhorns, it was just a general wonder who grades the fish and to what standards?

I've also seen flowerhorns graded like that. I suspect the breeder (or even the shop) choose their own gradings. But it would be based mostly on "accepted" good physical characteristics of the fish.
In general I'd say it's all a bit of a cr@pshoot really. I'd advise anyone to never buy anything like that until you've seen in yourself, and you like the look of it.

As said above, Hybrids are often graded from AAA,AA,A,B to C,
Also as you say Koi are also graded but i think this is done based on quality of bloodlines in the fish

I think flowerhorns are graded on their hump and coloring.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back