Fish getting stuck in filter intake

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

BleuTheBetta

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Bleu just got stuck in the water intake part of my betta EF 5 filter. Two of his fins ripped a tiny bit. I found him who knows how long after his fins got stuck (less than 30 min, he was doing fine a bit ago). I think he is tired and stressed, heā€™s sitting on the bottom of the tank, in his hide. He wonā€™t come out, even for bloodwormsā€¦ What do I do? I donā€™t want his fins getting infected. I included pictures of Bleuā€™s fins and where he got stuck. Should I get a new filter? Iā€™m really worried about him.

Attachments

• EEFC9590-75D3-4086-86B5-A764F50C4160.jpeg
    EEFC9590-75D3-4086-86B5-A764F50C4160.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 08F4C171-2FF9-4708-8240-642A1E3609C6.jpeg
    08F4C171-2FF9-4708-8240-642A1E3609C6.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 20
  • F5F26D6A-C7E1-4CEB-8392-ED19A9AFBD00.jpeg
    F5F26D6A-C7E1-4CEB-8392-ED19A9AFBD00.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 735BB803-33EC-44EE-B846-09D2BF02B485.jpeg
    735BB803-33EC-44EE-B846-09D2BF02B485.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 19
  • BAE2938B-019C-4C85-AD4B-111F36B4FBF4.jpeg
    BAE2938B-019C-4C85-AD4B-111F36B4FBF4.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 19
Anyone? I know it hasnā€™t been long, but I have to go to bed and I am super stressed and worried about him.

You should put on a filter intake sponge. He must have been weak before getting sucked into the intake. Iā€™ve never heard of a betta getting sucked onto the intake. Maybe a tiny fish like endlars or neon tetras couldā€¦ but highly unlikely a Betta woud.

You should put ona filter intake sponge. He must have been weak before getting sucked into the intake. Iā€™ve never heard of a betta getting sucked onto the intake. Maybe a tiny fish like endlars or neon tetras couldā€¦ but highly unlikely a Betta woud.
Ohhh thank you for replying. I donā€™t know, I think he may just have been stuck, not sucked up. Will they heal on their own? Or do I have to do something to help with his fins?

Maybe do a 50% water change 1st. Then perhaps add a tbsp of aquarium salt per each five gallons of water (dissolve the salt fully in a container of tank water first and then add to tank distributing the solution evenly.
How old is the Betta? Was he acting strangely before this occurred?

Last edited:
With time, it should heal. Keep up with your water changes.
What brand and model of filter do you have?

Be sure to use salt specified for aquarium use

With time, it should heal. Keep up with your water changes.
What brand and model of filter do you have?
I will. I donā€™t want to use salt, Iā€™m going on vacation in 2 days. I also donā€™t want to stress him out anymore than he already is. Iā€™ll do a 50% WC tomorrow morning (itā€™s currently 12am haha) and one right before I leave.
Itā€™s a Betta Flow EF5 filter.

Oh, I just read that itā€™s beneficial for stress reasons. Would it be worth it to even attempt? Iā€™m only home for another day after this. If the Ayer is kept clean, will it heal up?

I believe salt could help healing and ward off infection as it causes a slime coat to form but you would have to use a salt specified for aquarium use.

I would just go with water changes. Salt specified for aquarium use is just non iodized salt - pickling salt, kosher salt, sea salt - the same stuff.
It could help. Salt won't produce body slime on the fins though.

But a fish caught in a filter intake is usually a fish that isn't well. It could happen to a Betta with oversized fins, I guess, if he was having issues with swimming because of the overbreeding. A piece of sponge over the intake will block the danger.

The big thing is clean water to keep infection from developing. But these are fish that fight, and they heal well. Bear in mind that the fins can be ragged, but healed. It doesn't mean they will grow back to where they were before - on a fancy Betta that doesn't always happen.

Anyone? I know it hasnā€™t been long, but I have to go to bed and I am super stressed and worried about him.
Put some Indian almond leaves in with him if there aren't any in there already, that's a natural antiseptic. Just give him some time with the lights out (2 days) he should calm down by then. The real question is why did he get stuck šŸ¤”
How old is he?
How long has he been in that tank with that filter?
How much flow is there (maybe the flow is too high and he got tired)?
The thing to remember with Bettas is of course the long flowing fins [imagine going swimming wearing a long flowing dress.... now imagine going swimming with a long flowing dress against the current] say no more.
I'd suggest adjusting the flow especially while he recovers.

I believe salt could help healing and ward off infection as it causes a slime coat to form but you would have to use a salt specified for aquarium use.
I was going to warn you to be careful about talking about salt because @GaryE might be listening but I was too late.

How old is he?
Just over a year old.
How long has he been in that tank with that filter?
Around 3 months
How much flow is there (maybe the flow is too high and he got tired)?
Itā€™s a small flow.

I have found that it wasnā€™t the suction of the water being taken in in the intake part of my filter. He was swimming past it and got his fin stuck in one of the holes. Iā€™m going to (since Iā€™m leaving) do a 50% water change today and have my dad watch after him. Heā€™s owned fish before, but I showed him what to do if Bleu isnā€™t showing improvement.
All in all, I donā€™t want my fish to be in a salt bath when Iā€™m not going to be home, my dad doesnā€™t know how to do that and I donā€™t want him to forget about a water changeā€¦
When I come back Iā€™ll see how his fins are doing as well!
Thank you guys so much for your help. :wub:

Oh, I forgot to add. I put a sponge behind the filter so that he wonā€™t get caught again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back