Fish For High Elevation Outdoor Ponds

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Buy a mongoose...
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 1.23.47 PM.png

Mountain minnows?

I had my first predator from what I can tell. I just pulled a snake out of the pond. Any ideas on how to keep snakes away?
I use a shovel personally, whack em on the noggin. whack whack whack the snakes till they are dead. Just avoid being bitten coz they hurt when they bite.

As far as keeping snakes out of ponds, there aren't any deterrents short of putting a flyscreen over the pond, and that has to be fitted securely. Try to keep the grass short and don't have things on the ground for them to hide under. Don't have bird seed or things that encourage rats and mice. Then hope the snakes don't come wandering through looking for water.

What a cool project. How about an update? It might not work with the goldies, but this cries out for a small school of bluegills.

I always wanted to do a pond-flowing-into-a-pond setup. This is really cool. Bet the local wildlife (not just the snakes) love it, too.

It really is beautiful! Making me want to get into the garden and do some improvements on the pond, but it's a bit late in the season and I don't have the talent to make anything like that! It's gorgeous though.

What a cool project. How about an update? It might not work with the goldies, but this cries out for a small school of bluegills.

I always wanted to do a pond-flowing-into-a-pond setup. This is really cool. Bet the local wildlife (not just the snakes) love it, too.
Thank you, things have been going well! I recently had an algae outbreak once the rain stopped and the sun started coming out more consistently. So I ordered a Pond Cleaner With Natural Pond Bacteria And Barley and that seemed to help clear things up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OVCI2S/?tag=ff0d01-20

The fish seem to be very happy and healthy! The tiny goldfish I put in the top pond have grown a ton and I'm shocked how big they've gotten already.

IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1676.jpeg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, they grow like crazy in ponds. I had a large irrigation pond at my old place, about 50' across and 6' deep in the middle. The goldfish would spawn, and the "fry" would be 3-4" long before they were even old enough to be colored up! I didn't feed them, either--they were effectively wild fish that ate what they could naturally find.

Yeah, they grow like crazy in ponds. I had a large irrigation pond at my old place, about 50' across and 6' deep in the middle. The goldfish would spawn, and the "fry" would be 3-4" long before they were even old enough to be colored up! I didn't feed them, either--they were effectively wild fish that ate what they could naturally find.
They really seem to thrive in ponds! Mine have also just been eating what they can find in the pond and they seem super happy. It's fun to watch them get down in between the rocks for food and see their big round bellies. It's not as noticeable from the top, but they are definitely healthy when you see them from the side.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back