Fish For Fast Flowing Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HappyKirky

Reaction score
Due to some recent events i've ended up with an Eheim 2026 filtering my small 60L tetratec tank. While on paper the idea of cycling the tank 10x an hour sounds pretty good, in reality its far too much as i've recently discovered. I've extended the holes in the spray bar quite significantly and while this did decrease the water flow to a point where it wasn't distrubing the sand, the water is still pretty fast flowing. I'm just wondering now whether this will be ok with the fish I currently have stocked, will they be affected by the fast current?

Stock:

5 Danios
2 Corydoras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Pearl Gourami
1 Golden Gourami (possible removal in future)

There is also temporarily a Ruby shark in the tank.

While the Danios apears to love the faster current, i'm worried that the pleco and Gourami do not.

What do you think?

I own a bristlenose pleco in a 55 gallon aquarium and he is ok with a moderately fast current. Don't forget that they live naturally in the amazon river and live in a constantly moving current. I don't know that gouramis would be ok with it or not. what size tank do you have and what sized filter.

Due to some recent events i've ended up with an Eheim 2026 filtering my small 60L tetratec tank. While on paper the idea of cycling the tank 10x an hour sounds pretty good, in reality its far too much as i've recently discovered. I've extended the holes in the spray bar quite significantly and while this did decrease the water flow to a point where it wasn't distrubing the sand, the water is still pretty fast flowing. I'm just wondering now whether this will be ok with the fish I currently have stocked, will they be affected by the fast current?

Stock:

5 Danios
2 Corydoras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Pearl Gourami
1 Golden Gourami (possible removal in future)

There is also temporarily a Ruby shark in the tank.

While the Danios apears to love the faster current, i'm worried that the pleco and Gourami do not.

What do you think?

At 260 gallons per hour I would have thought that spawning salmon would be your best bet! Not helpful I know but that's quite a current and I bet the danio's are in their element. Don't know about the other fish but my own Cory's tend to potter around looking for food and would be quite disturbed with such a high current.

I own a bristlenose pleco in a 55 gallon aquarium and he is ok with a moderately fast current. Don't forget that they live naturally in the amazon river and live in a constantly moving current. I don't know that gouramis would be ok with it or not. what size tank do you have and what sized filter.

Its a 60L tank and the filter pumps at 600LPH!

[/quote]

At 260 gallons per hour I would have thought that spawning salmon would be your best bet! Not helpful I know but that's quite a current and I bet the danio's are in their element. Don't know about the other fish but my own Cory's tend to potter around looking for food and would be quite disturbed with such a high current.
[/quote]

Haha, if only I could get miniture Salmon... Its 600LPH though so not quite 260 gallons per hours, more like 140ish, its still excessive but not that bad :). Also the Corys are sheltered from the current inbetween the rocks, bogwood and plants so their fine. It was mainly the Gourami I was concerned with.

I have a 62L tank and my filter does 1000Lph

However you will find that most filters have a lever or similar on the out pipe that allows you to adjust the flow. It has worked perfect for me and the current is now a much acceptable flow.

You should check your filter outlet.

However you will find that most filters have a lever or similar on the out pipe that allows you to adjust the flow. It has worked perfect for me and the current is now a much acceptable flow.

Thanks Cossie, what stock do you have in your tank?

Your dannios will love it...I have a powerhead in my tank that comes on for a couple of hours a day - That's playtime for the dannios!!

Rasborra Harlequins like it as well.

You could always T off your return pipe and put a tap on the second return pipe to adjust the flow between the two?

Just cut the return pipe, get a 'T' piece usually sold for ponds, some more green pipe and run the other bit of pipe in the other side of the tank.

= same turnover but not quite such strong current in the tank :good:

The trouble with restricting the flow on the filter is that it puts a lot of back pressure on the motor and the seals of the filter. Over time you are more likely to have snapped impeller shafts (if ceramic), burnt out motor and/orseals busting on the filter itself as slowing the flow means water will try to find another way out...

My Bristlenose will attach himself to an Amazon sword leaf in front of my Koralia and "ride the wave"! Interesting to watch. :good:

Thanks Cossie, what stock do you have in your tank?

Atm I have 4 harlequins and a betta in a breeding trap. However I plan to have:

6 harlequins
6 galaxy rasboras
6 (pygmy corys or panda corys)
And betta if he behaves

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back