Fish for a pond in New Mexico

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sadness child

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have built a small 45 gallon pond in ABQ, NM. For those that are not familiar with New Mexico weather, it gets to about the 90s in the summer and cold enough at night to freeze water over in the winter. The pond has a 18"diameter and 18"depth in one area and in the other it is about 32" long by 18" wide by 9" deep. I have already determined mosquito fish are going in the pond. I might be able to take fish in during the winter, but I would rather not do so.

Itiwhetu choices were gonna be my suggestions. Medaka too?

I’m picking up some mosquito fish (livebearers) later this week. WCMMS during the week. Gonna look for Medaka just before Xmas.
I kept Paradise Fish with WCMMs over 20yrs ago and they seemed like best mates in comparison with the Neons and Zebras wariness in there.( I know I know. ) The Clown Loaches just ignored everyone and carried on snuffling around the bottom.

Last edited:
Do you guys have any recommendations for an algae eater that will be able to say outside year round and still be small enough for my 45 gallon pond?
I have also made my rough stocking list that might change. 10 Mosquito fish, and about 20 or so minnows of some sort.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back