Fish For A Nano Marine

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lilfishie

Its a kinda MAGIC!! ^_^
Reaction score
Hi guys, 1st time down here and very excited! *spend most my time in the Betta section*

I have just ordered a 35l Tank This 1 which I hope I can turn into a nano marine tank :D

What fish would be ideal for this setup?

That's not a bad tank. Lighting is not the best for Marine, but you can get mushrooms for that tank. This is about 8-10g, so fish choice is going to be limited, especially if you are inexperienced in the hobby. That the tank has a glass cover opens you up to more options considering that many marine fish are very good jumpers.

Small goby/shrimp pairs - think Yasha goby sized
small perching gobies - any of the clown gobies, though they are finicky eaters sometimes
small cleaner gobies - neon gobies, a mated pair is very nice

Some people'll put a clownfish in a tank that size, I personally don't. Look at the activity level of the fish.

Idealy, fish best suited for a tank that size are fish that tend to be cave dwellers, burrowers, or perchers. You want a fish that doesn't swim around a whole lot and prefers to have a smallish territory to sort of "oversee". Also, trend towards fish that prefer to be kept alone, especially in such close quarters.

If you must have a second fish, which can be done, select a fish that has a different habit from your first fish and looks very different.

Welcome to the salty side.

L

check out scarlet badis/ perhaps shrimps. micro crabs. scarlet badis grow no bigger than 2cm guppys are ok too

ohhhh marine. sorry misread. haha

Thanks for the welcome :D

Am thinking of maybe doing a small Invert tank? would that work? Few cleaners & Hermits?

Just want something manageable to start with and space is currently limited, once I move out, I will more than likely convert 1 of my 3fts *after a 6ft upgrade ;)*

Thanks for the welcome :D

Am thinking of maybe doing a small Invert tank? would that work? Few cleaners & Hermits?

Just want something manageable to start with and space is currently limited, once I move out, I will more than likely convert 1 of my 3fts *after a 6ft upgrade ;)*

Nothing wrong with having just inverts. I've seen a lot of very nice tanks with just invertebrates.

L

Agreed. That's small. I am HIGHLY against putting clowns in small tanks. Keep in mind that, looking at the pix, there is no hood. Make sure that if you do stock with something small someday, it's not a jumper or you'll find it dried out on the floor. Marine fish jump. SH

It has an acrylic lid :)

You'd be surprised what fish will jump through. I lost two yashas to jumping and that was with a lid. Plug all gaps. I'm being serious. I ended up just getting a goby with a really fat head.

If you can get one to eat, they're kind of finicky, a clown goby may work. Also, many enjoy neon gobies. A mated pair is very pretty.

A list of possible inverts that would make a fun and active little pico tank. Bear in mind, though not all are compatible together.

banded trochus
dwarf ceriths
Caribbean porcelain crabs (don't mix with the porcelain anemone crab or other true crabs)
Porcelain anemone crabs
Pompom crabs
Scarlet hermits
Emerald crab (can become a predator, Mine have been saints, but that's not typical)
Skunk cleaners (a small one, they can get big)
Sexy shrimp (fun and can be kept in groups, they like eating though)
Blood shrimp (reclusive)
Electric blue hermits (big and clumsy, but fun, can prey on snails)
Nassarius snails.

The list goes on, but a tank like that provide a lot of fun activity. Barring my one panda goby, my 5.5g nps tank is essentially an invert only tank.

Up to you. :) Do some reading and don't hesitate to ask us questions. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back