Fish Food

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

star678

Reaction score
I know fish can eat flakes, peas, cucumber, cabbage and frozen blood worms daphina etc but what other house hold food that can be bought from supermarkets can they eat??? can they eat prawns could i have some examples please thanks

i heard some fish can eat spinach, but don't take my word on it because i am not to sure on that.

my fish will eat prawns and also lettuce as well as the usual peas,cucumber etc.we have severums,sharks,gouramis,barbs,plec,bn etc over different tanks

all fish are obnivores to a point (sp) puffers eat prawns etc

This is not true at all. Be careful with the word 'all' because there are some obligate herbivores and some obligate carnivores out there. If you would have said 'most,' then the statement is fine.

ive heard the rule of thumb is 'anything green' but not with all fruits as the citric acid is too strong for some fish

With regards to citric acid, or anything else. Fish have very good chemical receptors in their mouths, and are incredibly unlikely to eat anything that would poison them. Citric acid is also a very weak acid, comapred to all the other acids in the tank, like the acids from the cycle, for instance. In almost every case, the fish would know if a natural food (not the processed, cooked foods we usually give them) is safe or not. Just wash it off carefully, to make sure that pesticides or anything on the outside is off. Sometimes people recommend blanching for a few seconds to soften, but the tank water will also soften the food.

Ultimately, I just let the fish figure it out... if they eat it, good, if not I take it out. I have given my fish peas, spinach, lettuce, green beans, oranges, pears, and apples. Sometimes they liked it (my tiger barbs loves oranges) and sometimes they ignored it (like pears).

Prawns are my fishes favourites, I tear them up into smaller pices but they all love them, tropical, coldwater and especially the blue lobster.

This is not true at all. Be careful with the word 'all' because there are some obligate herbivores and some obligate carnivores out there. If you would have said 'most,' then the statement is fine
sorry, your right,
With regards to citric acid, or anything else. Fish have very good chemical receptors in their mouths, and are incredibly unlikely to eat anything that would poison them. Citric acid is also a very weak acid, comapred to all the other acids in the tank, like the acids from the cycle, for instance. In almost every case, the fish would know if a natural food (not the processed, cooked foods we usually give them) is safe or not. Just wash it off carefully, to make sure that pesticides or anything on the outside is off. Sometimes people recommend blanching for a few seconds to soften, but the tank water will also soften the food.

Ultimately, I just let the fish figure it out... if they eat it, good, if not I take it out. I have given my fish peas, spinach, lettuce, green beans, oranges, pears, and apples. Sometimes they liked it (my tiger barbs loves oranges) and sometimes they ignored it (like pears).

hya like i said, ive heard

hi
ive tried scallops that had been kicking round our freezer for ages cut up into little bits.loaches went MAD!!!
ive also seen potato in our lfs, our swordie fry ate it (but then they would have eaten anything!!!), our main tank occupants sniffed & turned up their noses..... a friends loaches LOVE carrots & ive heard of people feeding banana but havent tried it as think it would be too messy.

i think one thing to avoid is mammal protein eg: cheese, our fish go absolutely bonkers for cheese but i learnt that they cant digest mammal protein its NOT a good idea and may harm them so dont do it. but i still remember the first time we tried a teeny bit of mature cheddar in our big tank years ago- every fish in the tank was there at it in seconds!! going nuts - bit like the effect catnip can have on some cats.........

Fish should probably not be given dairy; only mammals should, and even at that, it is questionable if it does more harm or good after weaning age. Milk was intended strictly for infant mammals; feeding it to adult mammals, as well as birds/reptiles/amphibians/fish of any age has often had highly negative and even deadly side effects.

At any rate, I've heard that goldfish can be fed most leafy greens, and are apparently quite receptive to oranges. I haven't tried much other than frozen blood worms, black worms, glass worms, and brine shrimp for my bettas, though life fruit flies and pinhead crickets are also a nice treat. For larger fish, I'm sure crickets, wax worms, and hissing cockroach nymphs would be a well-recieved snackfood.

i htink there a post likethis already in this section it may have slipped a couple of pages back
have a look theres alot of replys on it

ive read alot about people feeding veg totheir fish, and my local store told me about feeding peas to my dwarf frogs when they get bigger. but what is recommended for smal fish such as zebra danios, neon tetras and dwarf gouramis for example? basically, anything around the 2" mark or under?

would it me word finely dicing sometihng like a cucumber slice or lettuce leaf?

Most reactions

Back