Fish Floating Around On The Surface Of The Water!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys! I went to my cousin's house last night for a sleepover, and when I came back the next day, I couldn't find ANY of the fish in one of my 10 gallon tanks. I panicked, because I thought my filter broke and somehow all the fish died, but then, when I looked at the filter, it was working perfectly fine. All the fish were at the surface of the water, still alive, just floating around like they were sleeping. (Even though it's the middle of the day! :crazy: )
I asked my family if they sprayed anything in my room, but no one was even in my room when I was gone. I tested the water, & it came out fine. The only thing suspicious that happened was that I received my fish from my cousin before I went to her house, but they went in a different tank. The water from transporting the fish was left over night, but it was closer to other tanks, and the other fish are healthy. I fed the fish in that 10 gallon boiled peas without the shell to get rid of any constipation the day before. I have done this before, and no bad results before.

Here's what it looks like:

There is one platy that has a very bloated and enlarged rear end, and I suspected camallunus worms, but she was perfectly still, and when I looked closely, there was nothing there. I also just finished using medicated food last week.

Here are the stats for everything:
tank size: 10 gallons
fish: guppies, platys, swordtails, corys
symptoms: floating around on the surface of the water, one platy has a severely bloated rear end, no worms sticking out though
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 15ppm, 25% cleaned yesterday
ph: 7.5
temp: 78F, no fluctuations
things sprayed (etc.) in room: nothing
water visibility: clear water
tank set up for: 3 years

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. If there's anything I'm forgetting in the stats, let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help! :good: I'm really worried! :(

UPDATE: The fish seem like they're terrified of humans. They come out and swim around when they think I'm not watching, but then when I come 2 meters away from the tank, they swim around like I'm trying to kill them. Some dart around, some jump, some try to get out through the glass. It's horrible. I'm starting to think that they've done something to themselves? Because no one was in my room, and absolutely nothing happened to them that I can think of. Could they have just scared themselves? They look utterly terrified! :(
Will they forget the think that scared them soon? :(
Thanks! :good:

sorry but i have no idea what ur fishes got..are there any other signs? like torn fins etc etc. are they eating? if all is fine other the faxct that they are scared and around surface of water, i would increase aeration, dim lighting, add some stresszyme and take a blanket/towel to cover the tank for a few days, only checking it once in a while..don't forget to feed them too..good luck :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is there enough aeration in the tank.
is there any meds still left in the tank.

Darting can be bad water quality, stray voltage, parasites, ph shock, toxins.
You cleaned yesterday, can you say what you did.

Water change, run some fresh black carbon and fresh filter floss, increase aeration.

Has your ph changed.
Being bloated and enlarged anus can also be dropsy.
What do you feed the fish.
If you suspect internal parasites get a pig wormer called levaimsole.
You need pure levaimsole.

Is there enough aeration in the tank.
is there any meds still left in the tank.

Darting can be bad water quality, stray voltage, parasites, ph shock, toxins.
You cleaned yesterday, can you say what you did.

Water change, run some fresh black carbon and fresh filter floss, increase aeration.

Has your ph changed.
Being bloated and enlarged anus can also be dropsy.
What do you feed the fish.
If you suspect internal parasites get a pig wormer called levaimsole.
You need pure levaimsole.
Yes, there is enough aeration.
I am feeding them medicated food, but there are no other meds.

They are eating.
I vacuumed the debris off the bottom of the tank, and my brother helped me clean it, he knocked the filter a little, but the fish weren't scared. (The filter is working fine.)
No, my ph never changes.
I'm feeding them medicated food, just in case it is internal parasites. Some seem skinnier, like they've given birth. (No fry though.)
And where am I supposed to get that levimasole?

Here's what the behavior's like: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0822_TpjbNA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0822_TpjbNA</a>
And in that video, they actually weren't as scared as they usually are...
Man, I can clear out a room of fish! :( lol

Thanks!

They look fine to me but jerking of the camera not helping.
Darting means they swim fast around the tank like something scared them or irratating them, or erratic swimmng.

Do a thread in tropical discussion on where you can get levaimsole from in the united states.

So there back to normal.

Yes. They must of just scared themselves somehow. Thank you very much for all the help. :) I appreciate it. :D

Have you managed to get hold of some pure pig wormer levaimsole.
If you can't get hold of it. I would maybe think of putting the fish out of there misery if you suspect internal parasites.

Have you managed to get hold of some pure pig wormer levaimsole.
If you can't get hold of it. I would maybe think of putting the fish out of there misery if you suspect internal parasites.
No, but why would I put them out of their misery? They are just excreting white/clear worms. Everything else is fine. They are eating, having fry, etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back