Fish Fish Gold Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lamba

Reaction score
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
Well I have like a 25"x15"x6" "TANK" and I want to buy some goldfish but how many should I buy and from which shop and how much will they cost. I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire. :good:

Hi and welcome to the forum :) !
I'm afraid the tank is only around 9gallons- you could have a couple of small fancy goldfish in it, but you would need to upgrade it to a larger tank sooner or later. Most fancy goldfish can grow to 6-8inches long and are high waste producing fish, so it is advised that you have 20gallons of the first goldfish and 10gals for everyone after that when keeping the goldfish in a long term permanent tank set up :thumbs: .
Slim type goldfish like comet and common golfish need a 75gallon minimum as they can grow over a foot long and are very active fish (its why most people prefer to keep them in ponds) :nod: .
Here is a site featuring many of the types of goldfish with pics (the sizes it lists though are of the sizes you are likely to see them in shops, not the eventual size they will grow too);

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/goldfish.htm

I had a fish normal goldfish type and it died a few days agi :-( :sad:

I had it for nearly 2 years in a large surface area bowl. :-(

I had it for nearly 2 years in a large surface area bowl. :-(

Yeah keeping them in bowls is really bad, a lot of people now days (particularly in petshops) still don't realise how bad it is for the goldfish to keep them in small unfiltered bowls. Even a 10gal tank with a filter and weekly water changes will give the goldfish a much better quality of life- goldfish can easily live for 20-30 years if given a suitable tank set up, in a bowl though most are lucky to live past one year.
The oldest goldfish in the world lived to 45 years old and was just a standard common fairground goldfish, the key to its good health and longevity was that it was kept in a decent sized tank with a filter;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4341254.stm

So it goes to show how much a good sized tank and good filtration can improve the quality and length of life for any fish, including goldfish :nod: .

Well Nemo used to be cleaned everyday :blush:

If the bowl was cleaned everyday that would have helped, but a bowl is simply too small for any goldfish. It is the equivilent to keeping a cat in a cardboard box its entire life...A bowl is no place for a fish which could potentially grow to 8-12inches long or more.
Goldfish bowls are outdated/old fashioned and many people have tried to ban them in recent times, goldfish which are kept in such bowls are destined to die a young and slow death, which is unfortunately what happened to your goldfish- at 2 years old, he would not have even been sexually mature yet.

So the best thing to do right now is to make a fresh start and not repeat the previous mistakes now that you know better. If you want to keep fancy goldfish you are looking at 20gallons for the first goldy and 10 for every one after that. For slim type goldfish you are looking at a 75gallon minimum due to their high activity levels and very large adult size.

Well I'm was thinking of getting 5 gold fish and while they are small keep them in the large box (dimensions above) and then move them after they get bigger maybe 2 in one. And if they get really big then each in there separate big box.

25"x15"x6" dimensions I worked it out and the box was about 10 gallons

Well I'm was thinking of getting 5 gold fish and while they are small keep them in the large box (dimensions above) and then move them after they get bigger maybe 2 in one. And if they get really big then each in there separate big box.

25"x15"x6" dimensions I worked it out and the box was about 10 gallons

The best thing is to go by the 1inch of fish per gallon guideline for this tank when it comes to young and small goldies. I'm not sure about fancy goldfish, but i know that slim type goldfish grow around 1inch evey 3-4months (they grow faster when they are juveniles and slower as they mature towards their eventual size though). So if you get 5 1inch long goldfish, you'll need a larger tank for them in about 3-4months time :) .
IMHO (In my honest/humble opinion) it would probably be better to start off with a larger tank right now so you don't have to go through the hassle of an upgrade so soon after getting the goldfish if this is the amount of goldfish you want.
I would advise fancy goldfish for you since you want so many, they don't grow as large as the slim type ones on average (around 6-8inches long maximum) and aren't as active so are easier fish to accomodate in an aquarium, i would say that for 5 full grown fancy goldfish a 60gallon would be a great size tank for them (a 50gallon may surfice depending on the length and width of the tank too) :good: .

I think the general rule when it comes to goldfish is 10 gal per fish. Or even 20 gal for the first fish, then 10 gal for every additional fish according to some members of this forum.

You will see the benefit to the fish within days of putting it in a bigger filtered tank. My goldfish is now in a 10 gal cube tank with two filters, and it is thriving. Growing well, feeding well and is always very active. A year ago the fish was being kept in a 4 gal ish bowl with no filter and very occasional tank maintainance. It has probably doubled in size in the year since having a filter added first and the subsequent tank upgrade.

Speaking of bowls tokis i seem to remember reading something a while ago regarding them being bad for the mental heatlh of the fish because of the shape of the glass (although I'm not sure if thats right or if i didn't just hear half a conversation)

Speaking of bowls tokis i seem to remember reading something a while ago regarding them being bad for the mental heatlh of the fish because of the shape of the glass (although I'm not sure if thats right or if i didn't just hear half a conversation)

I don't know about the shape thing, but i'm sure the goldfish must get bored living in such a small environment which has so little options to make it more interesting.

Well I live in Bradford, West Yorks how much do filters cost.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back