Fish Filter Tube Broken!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ellphea

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
The bottom of my fish filter intake tube, the part with the little slits in it that keeps big things out of the tube got lost while I was moving. Does anyone know of something else I can put over the bottom of the tube?

What sort of filter is it? I can't quite picture which part you might be talking about.

A pic would help, if you can get one.

She means the intake strainer.  A bit of sponge, mesh or clean tights can serve as a temporary measure to cover the inlet.  I use a spare mesh bag (the sort you buy to hold loose filter media) over my siphon tube to stop fish getting sucked in when draining the tank.

Depending on the make of filter you can probably order a new spare part, e.g. if it's an Eheim, it's usually quite easy to get Eheim spare parts from Ebay or other stockists.

daizeUK said:
She means the intake strainer.
Oh, like on a HOB?

I thought it might be an undergravel
blush.png

Thanks for your wisdom, daize
smile.png

Right now I have a piece of mesh rubber banded around the end. I am going to have to look around to see if I can find the part. It's an old filter and I don't know if they make them any more

fluttermoth said:
Oh, like on a HOB?

I thought it might be an undergravel
blush.png
I'm thinking an external canister filter - something like this:
eheimstrainer.jpg

Ellphea said:
Right now I have a piece of mesh rubber banded around the end. I am going to have to look around to see if I can find the part. It's an old filter and I don't know if they make them any more
That will work fine for the meantime. Depending on how fine the mesh is, you may find plant leaves and other debris stuck to it. I'm cycling a dirt tank right now and I'm continuously knocking bits of soil off. The mesh may clog a little, but if you knock off any debris, you won't have an issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back