FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have algae wafers in my tanks, for my snails/shrimp, and I think my betta has been nibbling some off of it. Is this normal, and how do I prevent this? Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Food is food to a fish. And most of the algae-based sinking foods do have fish/meat in them too as fish need all of this.

In your situation, dropping in the wafers a couple hours after the tank is in darkness might work. The Betta will not be active in the darkness (darkness meaning total complete blackness, no ambient room light). Snails will certainly be active during darkness, not sure about shrimp so the shrimp experts can advise on them.

Ok. So complete normal, and I should feed at night? Thanks! :)

I used to feed those and they were like Temptations Cat Treats. The fish would not leave them alone. And if you have a cat go easy on those Temptations. They will stop eating their regular food and only eat those.

I drop in an algae wafer for my pleco the 29 gallon tank....my bolivian ram goes right for it but is soon shooed away by Nessie the BN Pleco who grabs it and takes it back to his cave. Nessie does not like to share his wafer with anyone.

6F0E4344-3236-4035-B526-D6BDB45737F9.jpeg
Pretty sure my pleco Plucky has trained the Corys to bring his wafer to him. :rofl:

I break mine and make sure they are distributed throughout the tank. My BN dive bombs them and any fish that happen to get in his way.

The wafers do take a while to dissolve, all the fish attack them but most lose interest after a few minutes. I feed them just before lights out as its a good way to get all the fish out so I can check up on them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back