Fish dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Swampman

Reaction score
Hi I have a problem. I bought a trio of swordfish one male two females. Females took to the tank right away. The male hid in the plants. I saw him swimming the first and second day. The third day found him dead. The tank has a pair of Rainbows, a few guppies and a Bristol nose place. it is a 10 gal tank. I am using it as a quarantine. The male was swimming perfectly at the store and the first day. This is a planted tank. It has been up for a year. Water change 3-4 gal every 7-10 days. Water parameters are very good no problems. I want to buy another male but I want to find out if anyone else has this problem.

too many fiiish, you need a bigger tank in my opinion, maybe he died of stress. don't get another one if you dont already have a bigger tank. bristlenost plecos need like a 75 gallon....

too many fiiish, you need a bigger tank in my opinion, maybe he died of stress. don't get another one if you dont already have a bigger tank. bristlenost plecos need like a 75 gallon....
You are talking about Plecos. Not Bristol nose which are dwarf. Only around 3 inches fully grown. I can believe stress. The plants should have helped him adjust.

You are talking about Plecos. Not Bristol nose which are dwarf. Only around 3 inches fully grown. I can believe stress. The plants should have helped him adjust.
emm, they go to 6 inches, i know what i am doing. common plecs need 125+ gallons... maybe bigger fish bully him

The Rainbows are are about an inch and a half. They are not the large Rainbows that I have in other tanks. I have had DBNP spawn in this tank.
they will grow to much bigger than that and will be stunted whenin a small tank
6 inches? I had a common place grow to 8 inches. Not in this tank. Dwarfs do not grow this long.
oh u had dwarrf bnp! still need bigger tank, stock still pushing it

im glad that it's only a quarantine tank, but he still might have died from stress. how many guppies are there exactly?

Swordtails are many times overbred and not in the best health, could have just been poor stock.
You use the liquid test kit?

Common plecos can grow to almost 2 feet long, BNP's usually max around 4"....OK short-term in a 10G for QT

This is a quarantine tank. Just to make sure fish are healthy. They will be going into a larger tank at some time.
ohh i understand. how big is the big tank? you should wait for them to acclimate and then go into the big tank, you shoudl not get more as i think that is the limit for a 10gal quarantine get it once all the little guys are gone

Swordtails are many times overbred and not in the best health, could have just been poor stock.
You use the liquid test kit?

Common plecos can grow to almost 2 feet long, BNP's usually max around 4"....OK short-term in a 10G for QT
Yes liquid test kit.

6 inches? I had a common place grow to 8 inches. Not in this tank. Dwarfs do not grow this long.
Common plecos can actually grow up to around 20 inches over their lifespan. If yours lived for upwards of five years and only got to 8 inches I'm assuming its growth was stunted, lol.

And as for bristlenoses, I've only heard of them growing up to 4 inches... o_O

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back