Fish Drama

Jalapeno

Reaction score
Hello All!
I am actually a shrimp person with a planted tank BUT I have an issue pertaining to tropical fish...
After searching the internet for what seems like forever, I have decided to register to this forum to hopefully get answers from other fish lovers.

My husband adopted a tank. The previous owner had it for 5 years. This person had a 40gal with mixed communities. Somehow the fish have been able to cohabitate for a few years so I wasn't going to hate on it. It has a Marble Angel fish, some type of transparent fish, two silver dollars, a rainbow shark, three of some type of schooling fish, two loaches, something that looks like a loach but fatter, a black fin tetra, and a giant gold fish that they won at a carnival a couple years ago. My husband then bought another Angel fish from PetSmart (I think it's a marble? It's face is white and yellow with a black tail) which is much smaller than the Marble Angel fish we currently have. They get along great. Fast forward a couple months to yesterday, and my husband adopted ANOTHER Angel fish (I wasn't home so this happened without my knowledge.) It's a Black Lace Angel fish. Well, the moment that Black Lace entered the tank, Marble and Black Lace have been fighting. I have no way of knowing what the sex of Black Lace is as I have not been able to get a close enough look, but Marble is a male. Little Angel hasn't displayed any type of genitals so that's another mystery. Once Marble and Black Lace started beefing, then OTHER fish in the tank started attacking each other. At first, I noticed that the giant gold fish was getting between the Angel fish when they would fight and would nudge Marble away, but then Marble would go and chase some other little fish. Now, the giant gold fish is nipping at the smaller fish. Then I noticed today that the loaches are nipping at the other fish. What is happening?? How is one fish disrupting the entire community of the tank? I have already accepted that I am going to have to rehome this fish or get a separate tank, but any insight would be appreciated.

Are the two Angels mouth wrestling?. If so that is pre spawning behavior try and set them up with an area that has real boundaries eg rocks or wood. something that other fish will know that if they cross that line there will be trouble. I would guess there is a lot of sexual tension in your tank at the moment. Post a photo of the whole tank so I can get a feel for what is going on

Are the two Angels mouth wrestling?. If so that is pre spawning behavior try and set them up with an area that has real boundaries eg rocks or wood. something that other fish will know that if they cross that line there will be trouble. I would guess there is a lot of sexual tension in your tank at the moment. Post a photo of the whole tank so I can get a feel for what is going on
Agreed here. Just wanted to say as well, 3 angels is to much fora 40 gallon. A 75 gallon would be a minimum along with the silver dollars, the shark. The goldfish probs needs a 50 gallon+. As @itiwhetu said above, we need a picture so we can get a feel as to how we can all help you.

Most reactions

trending

Back