Fish Dissapearing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ada

Reaction score
So I have 90l tank.

i have a Betta, 15 tetras and around 15 amano shrimp

I also had 6 otos and thats where I have a problem

I got them before xmad not sure exactly when.
One has died around January but before that 2 of them dissapeared.

After that I was left with 3.
Today while cleaning the tank I noticed I have only 2 left.

What could have happaned to them how did they dissapear without any bodies to be found??

Most issues with fish are related to poor water quality. Make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite, and the nitrate is less than 20ppm.

If a fish dies in the tank the shrimp and other fish will eat it. Otocinclus are small fish and a group of shrimp will quickly eat the body.

Most issues with fish are related to poor water quality. Make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite, and the nitrate is less than 20ppm.

If a fish dies in the tank the shrimp and other fish will eat it. Otocinclus are small fish and a group of shrimp will quickly eat the body.

All the parameters are fine and I didnt have any other deaths in months just the otos.

Could they die because they ate too much or not enough?

I got them to get rid of my from the glass and since I have them the glass is spotless I think thats because of them. So is it possible its too much for them?

Otocinclus don't over eat, but they do starve.

If you don't have any algae in the tank then you need to feed them algae wafer and other types of plant matter like cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin. Make sure the food is free of chemicals and pesticides.
They also need driftwood in the tank and they eat it to help their digestion.

Otocinclus don't over eat, but they do starve.

If you don't have any algae in the tank then you need to feed them algae wafer and other types of plant matter like cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin. Make sure the food is free of chemicals and pesticides.
They also need driftwood in the tank and they eat it to help their digestion.

There is algae forming in the tank cause there is always loads behing the heater where they cant reach so I think they eat all the algae that forms on glass.
I do have driftwood and I do give them algae wafers however I never saw them eating it.

Maybe the other ones didnt have enough food and those 2 were eating all of it o_O

How long after you bought them did the otos die?

Otos are usually starving when they reach the shop. Once they go past a certain starvation point, no matter how much they eat they cannot process the food, and they die. It is common for otos to die shortly after purchase. If yours died fairly soon after purchase, they had reached the point of no return, I'm afraid.
When buying otos, wait till they've been in the shop a couple of weeks so they weak ones will already have died by the time you buy them. Look for fish with rounded bellies, not sunken bellies, as those have been eating OK. And not very fat otos as they too could be sick.

How long after you bought them did the otos die?

Otos are usually starving when they reach the shop. Once they go past a certain starvation point, no matter how much they eat they cannot process the food, and they die. It is common for otos to die shortly after purchase. If yours died fairly soon after purchase, they had reached the point of no return, I'm afraid.
When buying otos, wait till they've been in the shop a couple of weeks so they weak ones will already have died by the time you buy them. Look for fish with rounded bellies, not sunken bellies, as those have been eating OK. And not very fat otos as they too could be sick.

The first 3 dies shortly after I got them
I know it wasnt the shops fault if they have been starved but the breeders as the shop actually takes care of their fish.
Many times when I went to the shop they were feeding them or cleaning the tanks they also have a quarantine room where all the fish go before going for sale.

But what happaned with the last one ive no idea. I just hope I wont loose the last 2

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back