Fish Diseases

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My Fellow Marine Life Enthusiasts,

Hello all, I am new to this forum and also relatively new to cichlids (I have a tank of Kenyi and Acei African cichlids that has been established for about a year). I have a question that I hope can be answered by someone more experienced than myself. Question: I have two Kenyi cichlids, both males and both blue in color, with darker blue stripes. One has recently developed a white lump on his nose/upper lip area. The fish seems to be in good health. He is hungry, active and he defends his "turf" just fine. The lump developed about a week ago and has grown to the size of about 1/4 centimeter. It has a "wart like" appearance and is somewhat lumpy, but pail in color and also free of any other markings. What is this lump and is it dangerous? If so, how do I go about healing the fish whilst not desturbing the rest of the community? Any advice ya'll can give on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a 20 gal. tank with 4 guppies (3 males, 1 female).

I have to the males and the female separated with a tank separator...
but I have one especially beautiful male and put that male into the girl's half so I could have a couple guppies of his color.(I left him in there for the whole day on Nov. 18)

I put him back into the guys' half at the end of that day and this morning (Nov. 23), I noticed that half of her body turned black. Her gravid spot was originally reddish and now is black, so I'm positive she is pregnant. But is it normal that half of her body turned black? She was fully gray and had turquoise fins with little specks clear. Now her lips, specks, and half of her body is black. Is this normal?

Hi, I hope u don't mind me asking for help on your thread only I cannot seem to make a new post?
Anyway one of my green tiger barbs has a White cotton looking thing growing by his/her mouth, I am unable to upload a pic at the moment as I am on my iPhone:( anyway could anyone hazzad a guess as to what it might be and a treatment? Or would u need to see a pic first?
Thanks
Clint.

sounds like it has Columnaris, often refered to as cotton mouth disease.

this is a bacterial problem caused by Flexibacter columnaris

Treatment:
1 water change (25-50%)
1a Vacuum gravel during water change(if you have it)
2 Treat with copper sulfate or strong antibiotic, ask your LFS for the best one

dont forget to remove any carbon filtration during treatment.

Hi , I am a relative newbi to keeping fish but am quite addicted! I have been treating my tank for some unspesified disease, white spot like, with a product called Tri- Sulfa, as recommended to me by the aquarium. I have now used this 3 times and the fish are still occasionally rubbing against things but what worries me is the Pictus cats and clown loaches looking stressed. I am reluctant to add more chemicals to the mix! PH is fine.Have been doing weekly 25% water changes. Any advice?

Hi everyone!!
I couldn't figure out how to start a new topic, but I have an urgent question!
My aquarium has all of a sudden become really dirty. In less than two weeks, there is a lot of poo and some kind of flakey substances floating around. I pumped almost all of the water out, but the dirtiness persists.
Additionally, my silver dollar has some kind of bulge in her belly.
I have a 45 gallon freshwater aquarium with 5 large fish: 2 catfish, 2 bala sharks, and 1 silver dollar, and have had them for 8 years now, never encountering so much poo and disgusting flakey stuff.
Please help!!
Thanks!

Two of my male guppies have ripped and tatty fins, a very sad sight. I originally put it down to my kribs possibly biting them, but then I noticed one of my platys "arm fins" (sorry for non technical speak) also looked a bit tatty. I do regular water changes in my 64ltr tank, so it shouldn't be the water, bur just in case I did a 50% water change, removed the carbon from my fluval u2 filter and added a dose of interpet anti fungus and fin rot just to be safe. Woke up this morning after only treating last night and the water has gone cloudy. I am tempted to put the carbon back in, but I know this will remove the medicine. Has anybody used any other medicine to treat these symptoms. I have used this medicine previously but I feel it's not the most effective. So out of all my fish in this tank, only three have issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I had a question for anyone who can answer. I have a 20 gallon tank with filter and heater and it has been set up for almost 2 months now and about a week ago I did a water change. I have 2 angel fish, 5 swordtails, and a loach along with a couple of bamboo stalks and a moss ball. This past week my females had babies (which were eaten). Today i noticed my female swordtails had white fungus like stuff on their lips(  but no where else on them). I've looked it up and think it might be cotton mouth fungus. I've also looked up different treatments but I'm not sure which one to do. Here are the levels of my water currently.
Nitrites- 0 ppm
Nitrates- 1.0 ppm
Hardness- 75 ppm
alkalinity- 120 ppm
pH- 7.8 ppm
Is it my water that is causing this infection? If so what should I do? How should I treat my fish? Please give me any advice you have. I am new to owning a tank and I am trying to learn all I can. I know some stuff but know everything. 

Tumor There are 2 types of tumors. The Benign and Cancerous tumor.

Symptoms: The benign tumour will have something that looks like an infection around it. A Cancerous tumour will keep growing and some scales around the area will protrude when it grows big enough.

Treatment: Sadly no cure. Either euthanise the fish reccomended
sad.gif
or let it live in agony for its remaing days.

I have to disagree with this statement regarding  benign tumors as I've had a paradise fish with a benign tumor for about 5 years now who shows no signs at all of a diminished lifestyle because of his tumor. It's certainly gross mind you- but he has never seemed affected by it.

Do you need to separate fish with fungus? Also if you fix the PH will the fungus go away on its own?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back