Fish Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Reaction score
Hey - people have explained this but i am still confused.

I need to do the Fish Cycle thing, daily changes etc etc.

So could someone write out step by step in words a newbie would understand so that all my fish can survive and be happy :)

Do you already have fish in there then? If so you will now have no choice but to do a "fish in" cycle. Basically, add no more than 4-5 small fish. Leave for aroun 2 weeks whilst doing regular (every few days) water changes of about 25% and tests for ammonia and nitrite. After 2 weeks add your next 4-5 small fish and repeat until fully stocked. This method is time consuming with regard to all the water changes and damages your fish in the process as ammonia and nitrite will be present in the water. Unfortunately, if is isn't present in the water then the bacteria which you need to feed on it won't grow in your filter. A catch 22 as it's known in the business. This method is far more successful if you can get sponge and ceramic media from a mature filter.

A better method is called the "fishless cycle." Link for this is in my sig. follow the add & wait method. However, depending on how "young" you are please have an adult involved with helping you carry out this method as it involves pure ammonia solution which is extremely nasty stuff.

:good:

I have done a cycle with and I'm not proud of it but all my fish lived.

You have to check your water twice a day. There are going to be times when it will spike and you might need to do 2 water changes a day. Keep the ammonia no higher then .50 .25 would be even better. Some days you are going to have to do more then a 20% change.( when did 20% become the only amout of water you should take out?). Yes you have to do water changes every day some days when my levels were high I would do a 50% change to get the ammonia to .25 . You should never go a day without doing a water change you will run the risk of your tank getting out of control.

Also do not feed your fish every day. Only a tiny bit once every other day. If you notice a big ammonia spike hold off feeding for 3 days.

So you are going to have to do that till the nitrates start to show up and that is a week or so after the nitires go down.

Sum up
Check water ammonia and nitrites in the AM and PM.
Do water changes everyday as needed to bring down the ammonia to a safe level of .25 or .50 Never higher then 1.
Feed fish less.
And just keep that up till it's done.

Cycleing with fish is stressful on the fish and you. It's a lot more work. I'm doing a fishless cycle now for my 55 gal all I do is add pure ammonia check my water every now and then add more ammonia if it gets low and wait. I will never do a fish cycle again.

If you have hardy fish and stay on top of your water your fish should live. Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back