fish compatibility

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

isubrian

Reaction score
I have a tank with 4 tiger barbs, 2 albino tiger barbs, a couple bala sharks, 2 silver dollars and a few bottom dwellers. I am looking for a smaller sized mid or upper dweller that would fit in well. Any thoughts on what would be a good addition? I was thinking some neon tetras, but wasn't sure if they would work well with the other fish in the tank.

How large is the tank first of all? Bala sharks should be in ATLEAST a 100 gallon...and that isn't even ideal in my opinion. I'd not add anything else unless you have enough room for your balas. They will get quite big and may even try to eat your tiger barbs. Silver dollars also get pretty big and I think they do better in larger groups, same with the bala sharks. So back to the basic question; how large is your current tank?

It is a 46 gallon, I know it is too small for when the fish get bigger, but currently one bala is 5 inches long, and two are about 4 inches long. A larger tank is in the plan as the fish grow, but for now wanted to add some color to the tank.

Hatchetfish are top dwellers and don't get too big. Check into those.

Balas will be fine for a while in that tank, you can wait till they hit 9" before a tank upgrade.

Thanks for the info, I imagine it will be a while before they get that big.

Can you suggest any other fish that would work that would add some more color?

Probably not because they need big shoals and constant top-notch water conditions to survive well in and don't do too well with very active/fast/nippy fish like tiger barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back