Fish Compatibility With African Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishing1118

Reaction score
I have a 75g aquarium with about 18 african cichlids a crayfish and some snails. Some of the african cichlids are demasoni, acei, labs, etc. the temp is about 82 degrees with a ph of 8-8.2. I did put some salt in as a buffer so it is slightly brackish. I was wondering what other fish could go in this tank. I know about the catfish and other common stuff but I was wondering about some of the more diverse and uncommon fish. Some thoughts I had but count get a definitive answer on were eels, figure 8 pufferfish, fiddler crabs, bichirs, shrimp, and other cool fish

I personally wouldn't try adding any of the above with your mbuna cichlids.   If you want a mixed tank it's best to go with peacocks and haps.  They are a lot more easy going than the mbuna. 

you also shouldn't be using salt; these aren't brackish fish.

If you need to buffer your water, use proper a Malawi/Rift valley mineral mix.

I am not sure but my personal experience with snails is that they should not be mixed with mbunas. The mbunas will harass them to death and in case a snail dies there will be a big ammonia spike in the tank. Veterans members please check if my experience is valid.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back