Fish at work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is a good idea to have fish at work. I was thinking of getting a small tank and adding some life to my office. The only problem I can forsee is the fish being unattended over the weekend. Are there fish that would do well with this enviroment? Anything I should know in advance? Really any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi PHreaxer

:hi: to the forum.

Most fish can go two days without food. The larger the fish the better they can cope without food.

Good luck with your new tank.

Dolphin
iru.gif

They forgot to say...it is good to have fish anywhere! They keep you occupied and happy! :D

I keep a betta at my desk at work and he seems very happy, keeps my happy to when I get a bit stressed. He is fine not eating for the weekend and when I drop 3 betta bio gold pellets in his tank monday morning they are gone rather quickly (within 30 seconds for all 3) here is a pic of himCLICK HERE

All fish benefit from being fasted once a week and it gives the filter a chance to catch up on the biological load so missing weekend feeds wont hurt,just remember to train someone in the office to look after the fish when you go on holiday or are off sick.

Wow, this is a friendly forum. Thanks for the welcome Dolphin. Tanked, that is a beautiful looking fish. I dont know much about fish, but I know when I see one that is good looking. :thumbs:

I guess I will be getting myself a tank and stuff this weekend. Would it be a good idea to let the water sit and filter and stuff for a week before I put fish in it? I will be reading this site a lot today and tonight to learn more and more.

We all have to start somewhere, and from what I have seen so far this is a great place to do just that. I am a absolute newbie to fish care, but if anyone has any car audio related questions, I should be able to help you there (my obsession :wink:)

thanks again, and I look forward to posting more and reading tons in the near future.

for a week before I put fish in it?
Have you already read about cycling tanks before you put any fish in it. Ammonia and nitrite peak? Good bacteria, nitrosomonas/nitrobacter? Sounds familiar?

I am a absolute newbie to fish care,

You should read books before putting any fish into the tank. And don't buy any fish before you know everything about fish - using scientific name will help when searching information (http://www.fishbase.org). Don't buy too big fishes either.. Don't mix fishes (acid/soft water is different than basic/hard water).

Have you tested your water values? (pH, GH, KH, NO3- NO2-...)

Some good books:
- The Ultimate Aquarium (Sandford & Bailey). "Good" for beginner...
- Aquarium Atlas 1 photo index and 1-6 books (Mergus Verlagt, Baensch, http://www.fish2u.com/merbook.html)

Hello Phreaxer

Fish at work is a definite! As a hobby/business I supply fish tanks into corporate and medical clients for a fee.

I use auto feeders to keep them fed as you can never rely on the staff. Auto feeders work pretty well although some suffer from condensation problems. To overcome these condensation problems I split the airline and feed in the air to the feeder stopping this issue. The FishMate feeder has an adaptor to take the airline and seems to work well.

Fish at work reduces stress and stress is the biggest factor in time off work! :sly:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back