Fish are friends AND food…

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
B32BD7D1-FD62-42E1-88D6-A4F195614211.jpeg
I don’t care what finding Nemo says…

I’m taking my second crack at cold smoked salmon, except I’m using Arctic char, because well, the price of salmon is super crazy and the local farmed trout was on ‘special’, which is not something you want to buy to eat.

60 hour cure, 24 hour dry time in the fridge and now on hour 5 of a cold smoke… can’t wait to taste it tomorrow.

Cold smoke setup on my Weber Natrual gas grill, no heat, outside temp of 5 degrees C, 12” smoking tube with maple, cherry and hickory pellets. I’ve *ice bathed* to double down on keeping the temperature low. Every once in a while I drape the BBQ cover over, but you have to “burp” the smoke by opening up to prevent the acrid taste from the smoke.

And yes, I’m smoking some baby bell cheese rounds as well, because why not!?

Fall cooking is my favourite, especially in the cold.

**edit

Last edited:
Better smoked than raw :)

I ate raw fish and seaweed when living on the street in 2016. It wasn't very nice. Too salty and crunchy and I had kept some of the species in tanks as pets :(

I am Pescatarian but only eat fish once every other week. I am finding it more difficult to eat fish at all but I do think we all need protein that isn’t entirely plant based. My daughter and grandsons go fish for trout so I usually have trout either frozen or canned.

Did you catch the arctic char yourself? I've had really good luck smoking brook trout (also a char, but much smaller). Good stuff!

Better smoked than raw :)

I ate raw fish and seaweed when living on the street in 2016. It wasn't very nice. Too salty and crunchy and I had kept some of the species in tanks as pets :(
Not sure how to react to that one…

Did you catch the arctic char yourself? I've had really good luck smoking brook trout (also a char, but much smaller). Good stuff!
No, I didn’t catch it myself. I probably couldn’t catch a trout or char if my life depended on it.

It was cheaper than the farm raised salmon and trout at the grocery store, so I figured I’d give it a shot.

When it comes to fishing, I’d consider my yself more of a bass/pike/walleye/Muskie guy. The guys I fish with and I mostly like the grip it and rip it working structure on the lakes. I don’t yet have the time to learn or to finesse fish for trout, I imagine that will be a later in life endeavour once the kids are grown up and outta the house.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back