April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Pic 2

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 35
I had 11 mollies 3 corys,and seven Neon tetras in my 32 gallon aquacube. Last Saturday the 20th I added 5 neon tetras. Since then I had 5 mollies and 9 tetras die. (5 original tetras). The tetras all died within 2 days, the mollies one a day.
My water test shows no issues with Nitrate, Nitrites, ammonia, or ph. I have been treating the aquarium with herbtana. Other than the water change I am currently doing is there something else seem to be going on that I'm unaware of?
have not read other messages, the mollies and tetras cannot be together. they need diffferent hardness and ph. mollies :high 8+ abd tetras are 7 and under i think

have not read other messages, the mollies and tetras cannot be together. they need diffferent hardness and ph. mollies :high 8+ abd tetras are 7 and under i think
They have been doing great together. Seems i introduced a contagious one to my tank. Thanks

They have been doing great together. Seems i introduced a contagious one to my tank. Thanks
just be careful, if your water is more one side they may be weak... but is your tank over 1 year old? if it is old enough it is not much of a problem

Sudden.die off can be any number of things. Adding 5 neons won't add a super huge bioload on 32 gallons, so, I wouldn't suspect any parameter issues. I would think that if you introduced something to the tank that caused it, there woulda been an entire die off.

Fwiw, mollies are kinda genetically prone to this. They are inbred so much that they typically don't live very long, and are sensitive to stress and other things.

You can indeed keep neons and mollies together. My 30 has had both for a few years no issues....I got neons, glo fish tetras, tiger barbs, cories, chinese algae eaters, timinekkii pleco, skirt tetras ect ect....they are plenty happy. Shrimp even.

You can indeed keep neons and mollies together.
I respectfully disagree.

I just put this in another post, and copied & pasted it here:

“Neon Tetras should not be kept with any livebearer species. Tetras are soft water fish, while livebearers are hard water fish. If you keep soft water fish in hard water (and vise versa) complications can arise.”

I don't.understand this affinity for trying to dispute things that others have done......makes no sense.

If I went by what someone else told.me, I wouldn't have tanks.

My tank,.right now and.for the past 4 years has about 12 black mollies, 3 goofish tetras, 2 blackskirt tetras, neon tetras, 2 chinese algae eaters, 3 cories, a timinekkii pleco, about 14 or so ghost shrimp, 6 danios, 3 tiger barbs, 5 oto's.....

They all live together happily, and have for many years. Everyone still has all their fins too.

This notion that you cannot do something simply because someone somewhere said so just....well....it's not good. I have had more issues with african cichlids than I have with the tank with the fish that ain't sposed to be in this water or that water. I even made a tank specifically for these cichlids, by reading what they say they need, and they all died off. When I stopped doing that, shoved some plants in there, and follow my feeding schedule, surprise surprise, they live on. I have a peacock cichlid that is in with a convict, and a jewel cichlid, and a.rainbow shark, and a.common pleco. Not one issue.

If we spend our lives doing stuff the way someone else said to, we stop living it the way we want to. Use a.little.common sense, keep them wet, and they will be fine. As long as you follow one principle when it comes to predators.....if it can fit in their mouth, it probably ain't a good idea to pair them up. Other than that, this hard water, soft water, this and that jive is just that. Keep your ammonia down, nitrites down and you'll be fine.

They all live together happily, and have for many years
We don't know that our fish are 'happy'. The best we can do to assure their happiness, is keep them in conditions closest to their natural habitats.
This includes water chemistry and temperature, number of fish in their shoals and hardscape/substrate etc. The fact that someones fish 'survive' in conditions for x number of years, does not mean theyre happy, they have survived.

As @Byron’s signature says,

“I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]”

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back