Fish And Tadpoles?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I found 3 tadpoles today and I'm wondering if I can keep them in my tank along with my platy. I originally wanted them in a separate tank but it's cracked and leaking :(

Not a good idea - tropical fish need warm water , tadpoles are cold water creatures. Also you may be introducing disease into the tank.

When the tadpoles turn into frogs they need land - contrary to belief frogs spend most of their time on land not in water - they only need to go back into water if its very hot or to breed.

also not sure where you are but here its illegal to remove frogs spawn or tadpoles from the wild, they are a protected speices

Thanks for the replies! It didn't occur to me that tadpoles are cold water creatures :S I got them from a nursery, not the wild. I thought it'd be nice to see how they grow :)

Lol i used to do that as a kid get a bucket of frag spawn and watch them change they never made it to frogs but loads of tadpoles.

Fishy gona eat tadpole

More likely that tadpoles will eat fishy. I once rescued a goldfish that had been half eaten by tadpoles in a pond: there was a gap in his flesh almost all the way down to his spine :sad: But goldfish have amazing regenerative powers: he recovered after several weeks of loving water changes and Melafix; when he was released (into a different pond!) he had grown back so you wouldn't know it.

More likely that tadpoles will eat fishy. I once rescued a goldfish that had been half eaten by tadpoles in a pond: there was a gap in his flesh almost all the way down to his spine :sad: But goldfish have amazing regenerative powers: he recovered after several weeks of loving water changes and Melafix; when he was released (into a different pond!) he had grown back so you wouldn't know it.

I did some reading up and some tadpoles are carnivorous. How freaky is that!

That's really some example on regenerative powers :eek: Nice to know he made it! I'd never thought that a goldfish would be able to.

I did some reading up and some tadpoles are carnivorous. How freaky is that!

That's really some example on regenerative powers :eek: Nice to know he made it! I'd never thought that a goldfish would be able to.
Frogs and toads are carnivorous and hence So are the tadpoles. That’s why you cannot feed them fish food because fish food has algae that tadpoles do not eat. In fact they do not eat many plants at all and from what I know they don’t eat any period

Tadpoles are a bit weird to be honest. Some grow into canibals in the tadpole stage. That's so they will eat their own if other food supply is depleted. They actually grow into a different shape for it.
I'd just drop them into a bag and dump them back into the nursery pond.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back