Fish all gone AWOL

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My peacock gudgeons have always been out at the front of the tank swimming around sociably and rushing to the top if I come near in case I have food. When I gravel vacuum I have to dodge around them and they follow my hands when I'm altering things in the tank.

Suddenly, it all stopped. I don't see them. They don't come for food. They ignored the last water change. I have seen the male pop out of one of the caves for food floating past it so suspect he finally does have eggs after many false starts. I haven't seen the 3 females at all.

Could the females be hiding because the male has become aggressive? Would that explain such a total disappearance? There have been no other changes and my parameters are

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 7.0
GH 4
temp. 26°C

it's either a problem with water quality or they are breeding.
females will sometimes look after the eggs too.

Thanks @Colin_T
I'll do another water change. It can't do any harm, whatever. I'd be impressed if all 3 females felt sisterly enough to help with the egg care though. They normally squabble a lot. And they're not hanging out around the cave... hmmm. I wish I knew where they're hanging out!

I was going to ask! How is it this Summer so far?
Warm and now warm and wet...which is just how I like it. ;)

Ever since the first lockdown, we've been besieged by those intent on breaking it, with a corresponding rise in you-know-what. Fortunately, I know lots of places many don't. Probably not too dissimilar from your good self. :cool:
...And have you found your fish yet? Enquiring minds need to know.

I've done an 80% water change and added some water sprite in case they wanted more floating cover (I'd taken most of the Salvinia for the fry tank).

Warm and now warm and wet...which is just how I like it. ;)

Ever since the first lockdown, we've been besieged by those intent on breaking it, with a corresponding rise in you-know-what. Fortunately, I know lots of places many don't. Probably not too dissimilar from your good self. :cool:
...And have you found your fish yet? Enquiring minds need to know.
No fish yet :( and few secret places left since the Guardian/ Times etc. keep posting articles on 'secret places in Cornwall '. :rolleyes:

How big is the tank? How long has it been set up?

Are these 4 fish the only ones in the tank?

It's a tall 80l set up on 18th May this year and cycled from 24th June with 6 fish originally (2 were misbehaving honey gouramis I took them out 5th July). Now I have just the 4 little peacocks left with plenty of planting (none tall yet) and hiding places- as you can see!

It's a tall 80l set up on 18th May this year and cycled from 24th June with 6 fish originally (2 were misbehaving honey gouramis I took them out 5th July). Now I have just the 4 little peacocks left with plenty of planting (none tall yet) and hiding places- as you can see!
Pic of the tank?

It's swamp core aesthetic

IMG_20210711_041820_391.jpg

The salvinia are no longer there though, and fewer tannins. I'd take one currently but turned all the lights off a little while ago in order to hopefully entice them all out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back