Fish Adventure: Tateurndina Ocellicauda

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My gudgeons are trying again. Are you babies coloring up yet? 

How long does it take for your females to recooperate before they can breed again? I think the same one from the last attempt is courting with the same male again and it has only been a few days, which is why I'm asking.

My male is at it every two weeks about.

Here is a video update

http://youtu.be/kDWSZMN3yaU

Another report.
I starred at the tank for another hour or so yesterday, looks like I have 3 peacock gudgeons that are far bigger than the others and are coloring up!
They have a little bit of pink and their top fins is very pale yellow! Yay!!

Sorry if I did not do a lot of updates recently, I was kinda in a middle of a move with a newborn, makes things very very busy!!

To answer your questions, the females will fill up with eggs every two weeks or so, my females will alternate positions, meaning, one of them will go in the tube every three weeks or so. The male is fanning the eggs for 5 days every week.
I only see him 3 or 4 days at a time. It is very important to feed him when you see him, a lot of people report their male dying from all this hard work! 

I make sure I spot feed mine so he doesn't have to leave the tube, and I've trained him in recognizing the pipette. :)

I think they are in a growth spurt, they are bigger and bigger, more of them are about 1cm big now.
I'm very excited!

Very exciting stuff. Oh, what do you plan to do with the fry? If I can get my male to stop eating the eggs (the last batch he fanned for at least two days and then he and the others ate the eggs), I plan on rearing the fry and then taking them to an LFS likely for store credit. Maybe they will help fund the school of rainbows I eventually want to get for the gudgeon tank. Haha. 
Are you going to sell yours or just give them out to pals?

I'm planning to sell them to various people and at local auctions and then sell the rest to LFS.

After 2 months in, I'm thinking it's just a good challenge to raise the fry but am not sure if it's worth the time and effort to make money out of them.. I'll only know once I get to sell them :p

That's right, and I'm not looking to sell my own (if Papa Gudgeon would stop eating the eggs), but store credit is very nice, particularly when the rainbows I want will cost me a pretty penny (they are just difficult to get in this area). I figure if I can make a dollar in store credit per gudgeon, and I give them twenty (assuming they take twenty), then that is two free rainbows out of the ten I'll be getting. :)

Oh, could you do a video of your bubbler set up? I'm having trouble getting mine to work properly. I think this will be how I handle the eggs if I ever want to see fry.

I'm pretty sure you could get more than a $ each especially since you are willing to trade for store credit.
Depends on how much they go for at your store, you could probably get about 1/3rd of their sale price.
Lets say they sell for 15$, you'd sell them for 5$ each..

This is my setup.
bubbler.png

I basicly just adjust the valve that goes to the tube for 1 bubble for every 3 second.
smile.png

The rock is there in order to make sure that the tube is lifted a bit, that way the bubbles will travel upwards
smile.png

Oh I see. Is there an air stone or anything or just the rigid tube?

It's just rigid tubing, I guess with an airstone it would be harder to set at 3 bubbles per second.

Update time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqxxUogd4Lo

My Gudgeon fry at 4 months old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1evJ0ND7HBc

I know right?
I'm getting ready to move some of them out but I'll wait until temperature outside permits.
Maybe during spring time they'll be ready for this.

Moved all of them out.
Two days later,
I notice babies swimming around..
Looks like the babies had babies of their own! loll

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back